Scientist III - Electrochemist
AIR COMPANY is the world's-leading carbon utilization company, creating consumer and industrial products from carbon dioxide (CO2). Our mission is to address the dramatic surge in atmospheric carbon levels to ensure long-term planetary health and life on Earth. To curb emissions that affect climate change, AIR COMPANY has invented a proprietary power-to-liquids technology that mimics the recipe of photosynthesis. Using only renewable energy, our systems convert captured CO2 into carbon-negative alcohols and fuels with just oxygen as a byproduct. These CO2-based chemicals are then applied to a variety of consumer and industrial products, helping to decarbonize entire economic ecosystems.
Through carbon technology innovation, AIR COMPANY is creating a profound shift in the sustainable production standards across industries of all kinds. With three carbon-negative consumer products brought to-market thus far (AIR Vodka, AIR Eau de Parfum and AIR Hand Sanitizer), AIR COMPANY is moving towards world-scale impact with its latest innovation: CO2-derived sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Since its inception, AIR COMPANY has won an incredible amount of highly acclaimed awards including TIME Best Inventions, Fast Company World Changing Ideas, the NASA CO2 Conversion Challenge, R&D World’s R&D 100, and most recently, the Keeling Curve Prize.
We are seeking a Scientist III, Electrochemist to join our team. This role will report to our Directory of Chemistry. This position will be responsible for developing novel C02 electrolysis technologies to support Air Company’s business growth. This role is based in Brooklyn, NY.
What you get to do
- Propose electrochemical based CO2 conversion chemistry and technology routes to synthesize fuels and chemicals from CO2
- Carry out experimental setup, design of electrochemical reactors, and procurement of systems on the lab scale for CO2 utilization.
- Identify and develop new catalysts, materials, and electrode architectures to enhance CO2 conversion efficiency and selectivity.
- Conduct parametric studies to understand the influence of operating conditions on system performance and identify optimal process parameters
- Work closely with scientists and engineers in the R&D and Engineering departments to scale up and optimize the electrochemical processes
- Work with outside collaborators in the field of electrochemical technologies to commercialize new innovations
- Present technical results internally and externally in the field of electrochemical energy conversion
- Work closely with business partners to identify the most valuable and profitable products to be made from these electrochemical processes
What you bring to AIR COMPANY
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field with a focus on electrochemistry and gas phase chemical conversion.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of electrochemistry
- Hands-on experience in device manufacturing and electrolyzer set-up at laboratory scale
- Experience performing experiments in electrochemical carbon dioxide reduction using continuous flow electrolyzers
- Highly motivated scientist with strong desire to develop changing world technologies
- Productive PhD student with proven track record of publications in highly ranked academic journals
Salary Range: $90,000 - 100,000
The approximate annual base compensation range and benefits listed above may vary based on the applicant's experience, skills, abilities, and relevant industry expertise.
At Air Company we value employees for their unique perspectives. We are an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We consider applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women, marginalized genders and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At AIR COMPANY we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles
Working at Air Company
In addition to standard medical and dental benefits, that kick in Day 1, we are:
- A people-first, climate solutions company driven to move society to a more sustainable future
- A unified team of climate optimists with an exceptional and diverse range of backgrounds
- Committed to fostering collaboration with a team that believes in the power of science and that business can be used as a force for good…
We also provide:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance. 100% of paid premiums for employees.
- Flexible and generous paid time off, including national holidays and sick leave
- Commuter Benefits: Pre-Tax Income for MassTransit
- Employee Wellness Program
- Sponsored company events and DEI social initiatives
- Catered meals