High Voltage Electrical Engineer
Avalanche is a Seattle-based start-up developing extremely energy-dense fusion microreactors for clean power generation. Our small design allows us to iterate on components in days, build tons of hardware onsite, and apply game-changing fusion power to applications from deep sea vehicles to maritime transport, to lunar surface power. We are seeking a self-motivated High Voltage Scientist for our Seattle facility to help build, test and develop high voltage systems for our fusion microreactors. The ideal candidate will collaborate with a small, interdisciplinary team and capable in pivoting between priorities to support rapid troubleshooting, design, build and test iterations. This early-career position offers the opportunity to join an ambitious mission and help push humanity forward.
This job might be for you if:
You relish problem-solving and welcome challenging tasks with a dedicated team. You enjoy being hands-on and working with hardware. You thrive in an atmosphere of development; you are an ardent learner who's always looking for ways to grow and improve. You want to be part of a mission that matters.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Electrostatic simulation of high voltage systems in COMSOL Multiphysics
- Familiarity and proficiency in 3D CAD software such as SolidWorks.
- Support the operation and tests in High Voltage Test Cell
- Assist in the analysis and interpretation of test data of different electrode and dielectric materials
- Support high voltage vacuum component design and material selection
- Perform surface flashover analysis
- Circuit design and analysis
- Present routine findings verbally and in writing to team members.
- Travel for conferences, supplier visits, meetings or company offsite events as required (up to 15%).
Qualifications and Skills:
- B.S. degree in electrical engineering, physics, or related field
- Knowledge of solid, liquid, and gaseous dielectric breakdown
- Experience with testing and analysis of dielectric and electrode materials
- Experience with electrostatic and electromagnetic design and analysis
- Experience designing and analyzing high voltage circuits
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Hardworking, enthusiastic attitude with a track record of overcoming challenges.
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering, physics, or related field.
- Proficiency in programming (preferably Python) and machine learning.
- Experience with high voltage systems in vacuum.
- Knowledge of high voltage transient analysis.
- Experience with high voltage RF systems.
- Experience working in fusion industry.
- Hands-on experience (design verification, troubleshooting and bench work).
- Great medical, dental and vision benefits.
- Small, tight-knit team with low barriers to action.
- Exposure to a wide variety of problems for unparalleled, hands-on professional growth.
- Weekly, employer provided team meals and a well-stocked kitchen.
- Stock options in a potentially transformative company with unicorn potential.
- Double-secret perks
Avalanche values people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, religions, and sexual orientations. We also acknowledge the value that different life experiences bring to our organization. Avalanche is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all individuals who are excited about delivering fusion energy to the world to apply.
Let's do this!