Field Operations - Pyrolyzer Operator
fort lupton, co, usa
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2023
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
About this role
As a pyrolyzer operator based out of our “Miniforge,” you’ll be on a team that reports into the Field Operations Lead and you'll be responsible for operating one or more of our bio-oil producing systems. Working with fellow Charmers, vendors and occasional third parties, you’d be directly contributing to a 24/7 field operation that has never been done before and is a critical part in our fight against climate change! You’d be a great candidate for this role if you have experience in field operations, field services, manufacturing, equipment management/maintenance, are an excellent communicator and a creative problem solver. The ideal candidate is safety-minded, proactive, mechanically confident, and is able to effectively prioritize multiple tasks on a day-to-day basis.
- Operate the pyrolyzer and troubleshoot downtime, documenting learnings to share with your fellow operators to increase system reliability
- Perform routine maintenance on the pyrolyzer and any associated equipment, working with vendors as needed
- Serve as the eyes and ears of the operation, providing valuable insight when troubleshooting design and operational challenges
- Develop and continuously improve standard operating procedures for pyrolysis operations
- Maintain a safe and clean job site by observing all safety instructions, handling materials with the proper precautions, picking up tools and equipment when not in use, and making suggestions for improvements to safety procedures and practices
- Use machinery and powered equipment (i.e. forklift, personnel baskets, telehandler, etc) when required for job preparation or execution
- Interface directly with operations team leadership to identify and communicate opportunities to the R&D and fabrication teams based on the learnings from the pyrolysis operation- directly influencing future designs for operability, maintainability, and efficiency.
- Record data about operations for measurement, reporting and verification for our customers
- Travel to, and operate from, remote job sites for up to 2 weeks at a time, as required.
- Experience around heavy machinery and equipment, preferably in both training and operating the equipment
- Ability to work flexible shifts to unlock 24/7 bio oil production, including the potential to be staffed on an overnight shift as required by the schedule
- Experience operating a forklift, telehandler, skid steer, tractor, other agricultural implements and/or willingness to learn. Relevant training would be considered an asset.
- Able to work autonomously and troubleshoot on the job
- Must be physically able to climb ladders, bend, or crawl in awkward spaces
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time
- There may be prolonged periods of standing and walking
- Have a proactive, professional and “can do” attitude.
- Desire to wear multiple hats with an organized, efficient working style.
- Passionate about contributing to our mission and growing the company.
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Medical and dental insurance
· Traditional and Roth 401k
· Paid parental leave managed through Cocoon
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches
· A sweet workplace (both SF Minifactory and CO Miniforge!) with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
The nature of our work requires the vast majority of our team to be in-person full time. As the COVID-19 pandemic has evolved, we've continuously adapted our safety policy to keep our team safe and productive. Our current safety policy requires the attestation of COVID-19 vaccination to work at Charm. Additionally, we ask that all of our employees and visitors stay home and rest if they have any cold/flu/covid/sickness symptoms.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.
See more open positions at Charm Industrial
Something looks off?