San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2023
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
About the Role
As a Safety Manager, you’ll be responsible for proactively reducing risk and preventing injuries through implementing a combination of regulatory compliance and safety best practices. We are looking for an experienced safety professional with a deep understanding of OSHA regulations who is committed to developing a user-friendly safety program while maintaining alignment with our values. This role will collaborate closely with team members throughout the organization while helping to shape the future of the safety program at Charm.
The ideal candidate is a credentialed professional with regulatory compliance experience across a wide variety of safety programs (e.g., hazardous materials management, lockout/tagout, fall protection, emergency response, electrical safety, respiratory protection, etc.), with a desire to build a strong, flexible and positive safety culture while driving continual improvement.
This role reports to the Environmental Health and Safety Lead, and will be focused on safety for our California, Colorado, and deployment locations. The position is based in San Francisco with some occasional travel to other locations.
- In this role, you’ll provide guidance to fellow Charmers regarding regulatory requirements and set up systems to maintain regulatory compliance and identify hazards. You’ll perform evaluations of work areas to ensure our safety standards are being met, and work with the team to correct any identified nonconformances and communicate opportunities for improvement.
- You will lead RCAs for serious near misses or adverse safety events, employing cause and effect methodologies to determine root cause(s). You’ll draft and update training, JHAs and SOPs as appropriate to reflect changes and learnings from those efforts, and follow up to ensure completion of corrective actions.
- You’ll analyze safety data to provide trends for both leading and lagging indicators.
- You will be responsible for managing chemical inventories, ensuring compliance with hazardous and universal waste regulations, and coordinating waste disposal.
- You’ll facilitate and coordinate safety training, maintain training records, ensure employees receive appropriate training, and design methods to gauge training effectiveness.
- You’ll champion a safety observations program to encourage regular feedback from the team regarding potentially unsafe conditions, and work to mitigate any identified hazards. You’ll also assist in designing reporting incentives and showcasing safety wins.
- You understand and will remain current on occupational safety regulations and requirements.
- You will ensure PPE and first aid supplies are stocked, maintained, and appropriate to work conducted on-site and at deployed sites. You’ll also support emergency preparedness, accident reporting and investigation, and worker’s comp claims.
- You will analyze operations, purchasing and disposal practices for opportunities to divert wastes from landfill and avoid waste generation altogether, making lasting improvements to maximize environmental benefits.
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety & Health, Environmental Health, Chemistry, Biology or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 8+ years of experience in a role directly responsible for safety.
- Deep knowledge of and experience managing compliance with 29 CFR Part 1910.
- Strong interpersonal skills, an ability to manage competing priorities, and comfort with multi-tasking.
Bonus (but not required):
- Certification as an ASP, CSP or CIH, or a demonstrated combination of experience and education to qualify for the exam.
- Experience in a safety role in the manufacturing or chemical sector
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
· Traditional and Roth 401(k)
· Paid time off, including parental leave
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches at a sweet workplace with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.