Pyrolyzer Shift Supervisor
People & HR, Operations
fort lupton, co, usa
Posted on Wednesday, November 1, 2023
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
About the Role
The Pyrolyzer Shift Supervisor will supervise a team of Pyrolysis operators through machine operation, maintenance, repair, and modification/upgrades. This role will support the night shift operations helping to drive the team forward to Gigatons or bust carbon removal and other important production metrics like throughput, uptime. This will be a rotational role with a schedule of 4 days on and 4 days off. Supporting an operation which runs 24 hours/day and 7 days per week.
Operations transition to 24 hour, 7 days per week, has created a critical need for a night shift supervisor. The corresponding team growth to meet this schedule mandates additional people leaders be added to the team.
This role will be responsible for scheduling/shifting of pyrolyzer operators. Managing shift scope and keeping the team on track to meet organizational goals. This role will also be responsible for training and managing growth, personal and professional, for 6-12 pyrolyzer operators.
This role will report to the Field Operations Lead and will be responsible for supervising night shift pyrolyzer operations and operations team
- Supervise Pyrolysis operations, including daily schedules, work scope and workflow
- Improve site and operations safety by monitoring, documenting and communicating safety opportunities to the EH&S team
- Lead and manage a staff of 6-12 Pyrolyzer Operators including all performance management related tasks including development and feedback
- Support hiring activities including sourcing and interviewing
- Support the team in an operator role if there are staffing gaps due to illness or PTO
- Review and modify standard operating procedures and make changes/recommendations when needed
- Identify training needs and help in identifying/developing training programs
- Compile required data and reporting to support company objectives/metrics
- Review team hours, timecards, and overtime. Identify and propose improvement opportunities for hours reduction or time management
- Continuously improve Pyrolysis operations by documenting, appraising, and communicating operational results
- Manage team handovers and deliverables across shifts to minimize downtime and maintain operational integrity
- Work cross-functionally between operations, engineering, Safety, Facilities etc.
- Support the Maintenance teams in evaluating required spare part and consumable inventory levels
- 5+ years of operations, field operations, manufacturing, or production experience
- 2+ years of direct personnel management, especially of operations or field crews
- A safety first mindset
- Experience working in a 24/7 operations environment
- Ability to operate and supervise operation of forklifts, scissor lifts, telehandlers, and other heavy machinery
- Ability to think critically/analytically and evaluate operational constraints and concerns
- Ability to define and communicate constraints and opportunities clearly to leadership
- Ability to work effectively across functional teams and geographically separated locations
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities and comfort with multi-tasking in a fast-paced, ever changing, ambiguous environment
Bonus (but not required):
- OSHA 10, OSHA 40, or more advanced safety training
- Certified trainer on heavy machinery
- 5S certification
- Experience shipping/handling Hazmat materials (flammable liquids, corrosives, etc)
- Experience with logistics and shipping of varying load sizes and modes of transportation
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
· Traditional and Roth 401(k)
· Paid time off, including parental leave
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches at a sweet workplace with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.