Senior Manufacturing Engineer
fort lupton, co, usa
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2023
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
We’re looking for a Senior Manufacturing Engineer who can help scale our ability to produce both biomass equipment and pyrolyzers as well as support our sustaining engineering efforts for our budding pyrolyzer fleet. The Senior Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible for building and maintaining relationships with current contract manufacturers for all critical components of our pyrolysis products, and developing partnerships with new ones to maintain rapid build timelines. You will be responsible for overseeing design changes, factory acceptance testing, integrating feedback from operations into new pyrolysis designs for our developing pyrolysis product. You will own the version history of our pyrolysis product, locking the design in with our contract manufacturers, working closely with them through factory acceptance testing. You will work directly with our operations team to release new machines into our fleet once they’ve passed testing. This role will also be responsible for planning our supply chain as we grow from building a handful of pyrolyzers to hundreds of thousands.
- Building and maintaining relationships with contract manufacturers for all critical components of the pyrolysis and biomass products.
- Take feedback from the sustaining engineering team to incorporate into new versions of our existing pyrolysis products.
- Interface with the design team to reduce cost, increase efficiency, and contribute to building smooth gates between design and manufacturing for new products.
- Travel to contract manufacturers for site visits, acceptance testing, and relationship building.
- Proven experience working with contract manufacturers.
- An ability to take design criteria from concept through execution.
- An ability to work with partners to develop supply chains that will become critical to be robust as we scale.
- Hands on experience with hardware and hardware design including troubleshooting experience.
- A keen eye for places to improve hardware based on observation of operations, and the mechanical acumen to follow through on those improvements.
Bonus (but not required)
- Previous experience in thermal conversion processes or chemical processes.
- Experience with high temperature and flammable gas systems.
- A track record of pushing 10s-1000s of pieces of hardware.
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
· Traditional and Roth 401(k)
· Paid time off, including parental leave
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches at a sweet workplace with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.