fort lupton, co, usa
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
We are looking for a Sustaining Engineer to support our ongoing operations of pyrolyzers. These pyrolyzers are being operated both on deployment, in locations around the US, and onsite in Ft Lupton, CO, and we are keeping them online 24/7. This requires significant support, and we are looking to start building a strong support team as our operations grow. You will work closely with the operations team leadership and the operators themselves to understand pain points of the current system operation and failures that are most severe and most frequent.
You will prioritize their work based on the severity and frequency of failure, and work to keep the system online through both quick and long-term fixes as well as support through troubleshooting activities You will also work to design improvements to the system to improve uptime, and quantify those improvements through rigorous monitoring.
As we continue standing up bio-oil production lines for carbon removal, you will play a key part in improving yields, uptime, throughput and safety to put more carbon underground every day.
- Act as a troubleshooting thought partner for any failures that arise during operation, which may include taking scheduled call time for the operations team.
- Monitor and document the current state of operations to prioritize the list of improvements that will have the biggest impact on the operations team and overall system performance.
- Autonomously work through that list of improvements, including designing, prototyping, interfacing with our electronics and fabrication teams to get those improvements built and shipped to the operations team.
- Identify areas for improvement based on data collected through the continued operation of the pyrolysis system.
- Consolidate learnings from operations and present them to the rest of the pyrolysis test and design teams.
- Contribute to all design reviews by giving an operations perspective.
- Proven experience maintaining process equipment, and a familiarity with thermo-fluids systems.
- Ability to make data-driven decisions on the highest priority improvements needed to keep high uptime.
- Top-notch electromechanical troubleshooting skills and an eagerness to learn about all aspects of our process.
- Documentation skills that demonstrate your thought process and design process when making decisions and improvements.
- Quick design and prototyping skills to make quick and long-term fixes to the pyrolysis system in service of greater uptime.
- A singular focus on improving the uptime and the operational experience of our operations team
Bonus (but not required):
- Fabrication (welding, machining, basic hand tools operations) skills
- PLC programming skills, especially in the CODESYS architecture
- Familiarity with SCADA systems
- Ability to operate heavy machinery
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
· Traditional and Roth 401(k)
· Paid time off, including parental leave
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches at a sweet workplace with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.