Director of Capital Markets
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2023
You are a seasoned capital markets expert, a relationship-builder, and a strategic thinker who enjoys developing innovative structures. You may come from commercial or investment banking or have experience with commercial real estate lending. You have a strong aptitude for understanding the needs of financial-sector partners, and for developing products and sales strategies that align with customer-segment needs.
About Energetic Insurance:
Energetic Insurance develops novel risk management solutions to unlock exponential growth in renewable and distributed energy. Our flagship product enables financing of commercial renewable energy projects. We are launching Energetic Capital, a new specialty finance company that will offer loans to commercial and industrial renewable power project developers. This is a chance for you to help build a new finance company from the bottom up, and play a part in facilitating the clean energy transition.
We are a fast-paced venture-backed startup that previously closed a Series A fundraising round with participation from strategic venture capital investors from the finance, energy, and insurance sectors. We are backed by SCOR, one of the largest insurance companies in the world, as well as Schneider Electric Ventures and MS&AD Ventures.
Our company is scaling rapidly; we’ve unlocked $500M in project value across 1400 sites across the country, are working with multiple financial institutions, and are exploring new products and geographies.
Why this role is so unique:
You have had experience in finance, but not like this. You will be on the front lines of project structuring across primary lenders, secondary market purchases, project finance for large projects or portfolio transactions, and asset-backed securitization. You’ll be able to flex your skills across commercial banking, investment banking, and regulatory navigation, all with a renewable energy twist. This is an opportunity to use your powers for good as you unlock financing for an untapped market.
- Support CIO in the development and implementation of capital raising strategies from a variety of sources, such as banks, insurance companies, institutional investors, private equity funds, etc.
- Lead the structuring of financial deals, including debt, equity, and hybrid instruments
- Oversee the execution of transactions, including due diligence, negotiation, and closing processes
- Communicate with bankers; understand their needs, build appropriate structures, and explain how deals work and the mutual benefits of an ongoing relationship
- Work directly with the executive leadership team to advance Energetic’s financial channel sales strategy and compel more banks to become regular, repeat channel partners
- Field day-to-day commercial and specialty finance questions that come from investors, bankers, or customers
- Translate complex specialty commercial finance topics between Energetic’s products, bankers, and customers to advance relationships and deal processes
- Collaborate with other departments (like business development, underwriting, and legal) to align capital market activities with the company's overall strategy and goals
- Bonus: understand securitization, rating process, and/or other specialty commercial finance topics and speak intelligently about them to bankers and customers
What we’re looking for
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in capital markets and either project finance or asset-based finance, preferably (not required) in the renewable energy sector
- Proven track record of sourcing and structuring financial deals (debt, equity, or hybrid instruments)
- Knowledge of financial contracts and the nuances of financial transactions for loans, leases, etc.
- Deep understanding of asset-backed securities and relevant funding strategies
- Understanding of bankers' point of view, motivations, risk profiles, etc.
- Proactive willingness to identify opportunities for improvement across systems, processes, and channels
- Interest in building a new product and joining a growing team at a start-up dedicated to improving opportunities for access to sustainable and environmentally friendly solutions
- Ability to work independently and resolve minor issues without direct input from a supervisor
- Prior experience in investor relations or fundraising would be advantageous
- Bonus: product marketing experience
Preference for Boston or New York.
Occasional travel required for meetings and conferences. Common destinations include New York, Boston, and London.
Why you should work with us:
At Energetic, we directly impact and influence the clean energy transition. Our team is passionate about the future of renewable energy and is looking for other individuals who share our vision. We are inclusive and diverse in workforce and style, we agree that clean energy is the pathway to a better world. Energetic was created to meet the demand for financial solutions to unlock and reduce the cost of capital for renewable energy developers. We bring unparalleled market expertise, capital, and institutional knowledge to provide developers and capital providers with the resources to build and maintain clean energy projects.
Employees have ample opportunities to voice thoughts, opinions, and ideas through weekly companywide meetings, team outings and events. We emphasize the importance of each individual through engagement, teamwork, inclusion, and diversity efforts.
Unlimited PTO 8 Weeks Family Leave Full Healthcare Offices in Boston, MAand New York, NY Remote and Hybrid Flexibility Quarterly Team Outings Commuting Benefits
Equal Opportunity Employer
Energetic is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, marital status, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), gender identity, sexual orientation, parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or any other non-merit-based factors protected under federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Energetic Insurance is dedicated to building a diverse workforce as we grow and scale. We strongly encourage and invite women and people of color to apply.