Tax & Transactional Insurance Practice Leader
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 1, 2023
About The Role:
This role is the de facto leader of Energetic's transactional risk practice focused on energy transition. This is an opportunity to launch a new business in a rapidly growing market segment from the ground up. You will own the business plan for this practice, lead development and drafting of underwriting guidelines, and define go-to-market and distribution strategy. This is a chance to join a rapidly growing and trusted team addressing key bottleneck risks to facilitate the clean energy transition.
About Energetic Insurance:
Energetic Insurance develops novel risk management solutions to unlock exponential growth in renewable and distributed energy. Our flagship product enables financing of commercial renewable energy projects. We are a fast-paced venture-backed startup that previously closed a Series A fundraising round with participation from strategic venture capital investors from the finance, energy, and insurance sectors. We are backed by SCOR, one of the largest insurance companies in the world, as well as Schneider Electric Ventures and MS&AD Ventures.
Our company is scaling rapidly; we’ve unlocked $500M in project value across 1400 sites across the country, are working with multiple financial institutions, and are exploring new products and geographies.
- Develop and draft underwriting guidelines.
- Plan launch and ramp of the new tax insurance MGA product.
- Manage information collection and conduct diligence and underwriting of new tax insurance submissions.
- Work with external counsel to review renewable energy projects for relevant tax risks, and issue opinion letters evaluating the risk of tax loss.
- Collaborate with other team members and external stakeholders to develop new insurance products to meet evolving needs of the market
- Identify adjacent market segment for possible entry (Reps & Warranties, contingent liability, etc.)
- Educate external and internal stakeholders on the tax implications of the Inflation Reduction Act.
What we’re looking for
- Experienced qualified tax professional with expertise in renewable energy tax credits.
- Proven track record of providing creative solutions to potential tax exposures.
- Strong technical knowledge of project finance, the Investment Tax Credit, the Production Tax Credit, and the Carbon Sequestration Credit.
- Prior experience with tax challenges from the Internal Revenue Service a plus.
- Prior experience underwriting or broking tax insurance or adjacent products (reps & warranties, contingent liability) a plus.
- Proactive willingness to identify opportunities for improvement across systems, processes, and channels.
- Interest in building a new product and joining a growing team at a start-up dedicated to improving opportunities for access to sustainable and environmentally friendly solutions.
- Ability to work independently and resolve minor issues without direct input from a supervisor.
Preference for Boston or New York.
Occasional travel required for meetings and conferences. Common destinations include New York, Boston, and London.
Why you should work with us:
At Energetic, we directly impact and influence the clean energy transition. Our team is passionate about the future of renewable energy and is looking for other individuals who share our vision. We are inclusive and diverse in workforce and style, we agree that clean energy is the pathway to a better world. Energetic was created to meet the demand for financial solutions to unlock and reduce the cost of capital for renewable energy developers. We bring unparalleled market expertise, capital, and institutional knowledge to provide developers and capital providers with the resources to build and maintain clean energy projects.
Employees have ample opportunities to voice thoughts, opinions, and ideas through weekly companywide meetings, team outings and events. We emphasize the importance of each individual through engagement, teamwork, inclusion, and diversity efforts.
Unlimited PTO 8 Weeks Family Leave Full Healthcare Offices in Boston, MAand New York, NY Remote and Hybrid Flexibility Quarterly Team Outings Commuting Benefits
Equal Opportunity Employer
Energetic is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, marital status, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), gender identity, sexual orientation, parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or any other non-merit-based factors protected under federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Energetic Insurance is dedicated to building a diverse workforce as we grow and scale. We strongly encourage and invite women and people of color to apply.