Payroll and Compensation Manager
About Lilac Solutions, Inc.
Lilac Solutions is a lithium extraction technology company focused on scaling lithium production for the electric vehicle era. Lilac solves the critical technology problems which today prevent development of the world’s largest lithium resources: low yields, high costs, slow start-up, poor reliability, and massive environmental impacts. Lilac’s technology represents such a step-change in performance and cost that it also unlocks the development of new unconventional lithium deposits with low lithium grades and high impurities, which have historically been impossible to produce. In 2021, Lilac raised $150M in Series B financing from investors including T. Rowe Price, Lowercarbon Capital, Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Sumitomo, BMW and SK Materials. Lilac is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace.
We are seeking an experienced and detail-oriented Payroll and Compensation Manager. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in both domestic and international payroll management, compensation analysis, and payroll taxes. As the Payroll and Compensation Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing and ensuring accurate and timely payroll processing for our diverse employee base and supporting People Operations in compensation planning. This position can be located in Oakland, CA or remotely within the US.
- Manage end-to-end payroll processes, including salary calculations, wage deductions, benefit deductions, and timekeeping systems.
- Oversee payroll processing and validate payroll data, ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and company policies across various countries.
- Ensure accuracy of employee records related to payroll, including changes in compensation, job titles, benefits, and tax information.
- Analyze and evaluate existing payroll processes to identify areas for improvement and implement necessary changes to enhance efficiency, accuracy, and compliance.
- Conduct regular audits of payroll data to identify discrepancies or errors and take necessary measures to resolve them.
- Collaborate with People Operations and Finance departments to provide accurate and timely payroll reporting and be able to provide support to ensure consistency between payroll and ERP systems.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on domestic and international payroll regulations, tax laws, and compliance requirements, ensuring adherence to applicable regulations.
- Monitor and process payroll taxes, including global tax withholdings, deductions, and reporting requirements. Handle payroll inquiries and provide excellent customer service to employees regarding payroll-related matters.
- Stay updated with industry trends and advancements in payroll systems and technologies, recommending improvements or enhancements to enhance overall payroll operations.
Compensation Analysis Responsibilities:
- Research and make recommendations on current industry trends, industry compensation data, salary benchmarks, benefits and other compensation-related data.
- Advise business leaders through effective consultation and interpretation on all areas of compensation.
- Participate and influence compensation design and planning of programs, policies, and procedures to meet business needs.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or a related field. Degree alternative: 6+ years of payroll or compensation analysis experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with US payroll, with a strong background in domestic payroll functions.
- 1+ years compensation analysis experience.
- Proficient in using payroll software and systems, with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies.
- Experience with compensation analysis and the ability to analyze payroll data to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- High level of self-motivation and initiative to learn and develop.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, can effectively communicate complex payroll processes to employees of diverse backgrounds.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with acute attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines in a remote work environment.
- Professional certification(s) such as Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or similar.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of payroll regulations, tax laws, and compliance requirements in North America and South America.
- Experience with multi-country payrolls and handling global payroll operations is highly desired.
- Basic understanding of payroll accounting.
- Experience with Rippling or other non-legacy payroll systems.
- Experience working with NetSuite.
- Salary range: $70K - $110K annually (commensurate with experience)
- Stock options
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- 401k with pre- and post-tax investing options
- Flexible Paid Time Off Policy
- Eight weeks of Paid Parental Leave
- Onsite Gym and Catered Lunch for Oakland Employees
- Monthly phone stipend
Lilac Solutions is committed to providing a professional work environment free from discrimination and harassment, including discrimination and harassment based on a protected category, and an environment free from retaliation for participating in any protected activity. Lilac Solutions is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment.