Software Engineer, Full Stack
Mill is all about answering a simple question: how can we prevent waste? Less waste can save time, money, energy, maybe even our planet. And there’s no better place to start than food. Food waste is one of the most solvable climate problems facing us today. Plus, our trash really stinks. It’s gross, heavy, and our least favorite chore. At Mill we are striving to build a better environment for all, as we take on climate and kitchen change.
As one of the first members of the team, you will have greenfield opportunities to design and build technology supporting our first product and service offering from scratch. We are seeking senior engineers with excellent technical judgment, who can make high level architecture decisions and are as comfortable building new features as designing optimal infrastructure. An ideal candidate will bring a broad set of technical and problem solving skills and relish opportunities to learn and solve novel problems.
You will have the opportunity to work on every stage of product development, from initial design to implementation to scaling. You will work closely with UX designers, product managers, and testers to devise elegant user experiences and bring our team’s long term vision to life! While we are looking for developers comfortable with both backend and frontend development, we’d still love to chat if you lean heavily to one side or the other!
You will help build out best practices and procedures and influence our growing company’s culture and team. An ideal candidate loves proactively seeking out problems and devising creative solutions, regardless of technology. We also hope you are as excited about working on sustainability as we are!
- Work cross-functionally with product managers and other engineers to design, implement, launch, and operate infrastructure necessary to support our first product and service offering
- Effectively work in a fast-paced start-up environment with ambiguous product direction and distill into project requirements and technical designs, supporting experiments and incorporating lessons into future iterations
- Prototype, design and implement end-to-end applications.
- Proactively identify needs for internal automation, tools, and infrastructure and deliver user friendly, reliable solutions
- Design for scalability, performance, and robustness
- Engage effectively with third party firms by delivering clear specifications and requirements and managing execution
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field
- At least 3 years experience in software development
- Expertise with at least one modern web application framework, such as React or Vue. Django.
- Ability to work with data schema, data modeling, and data visualization.
- Strong cross functional and technical collaboration skills
- Comfortable communicating technical design choices
- Familiarity with AWS suite of cloud services
- Experience shipping consumer facing products and scaling while maintaining quality
- Experience working with real time streaming data systems and data warehouses
- Security and privacy experience, especially working with customer data
- Experience working with IOT device
- Broad set of skills with experience jumping into new problems and learning quickly!
The estimated base salary range for this position is $138k to $163k, which does not include the value of benefits or a potential equity grant. A wide range of factors are considered in making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets, market conditions, experience and training, licensure and certifications, and business and organizational needs. At Mill, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role.