Working to solve our climate crisis is the most important mission of our time, and the most exciting problem to be working on. Overstory’s mission is to help solve our climate crisis by providing real-time intelligence about the planet’s vegetation. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation, helping to reduce the risk of wildfires and power outages.
We have already proven our business model and we’re all united behind our ambitious vision to scale up this model to help humanity and the planet. We recently raised a round of funding, led by Convective Capital. Other investors include: B Capital Group, Moxxie Ventures, Capital T, Pale Blue Dot and many other climate-focused investors.
If you want to have a real impact and solve some of the world's most complex challenges with advanced technology, come work with our talented and passionate team. Overstory is based in Amsterdam but we are a remote-first company, with people living all over the U.S. and Europe.
We’re looking to hire our second product manager to help lead the development of our product, working hand-in-hand with our designers and engineers. You’ll be part of a small, dedicated (and fast-growing!) team that is building the Overstory product so that it has a giant impact on the world. We launched our SaaS product for electric utilities just over a year ago and are seeing tremendous growth.
About the role
You will be part of a small team, working closely with a designer and engineers to build the Overstory product. Your job will be to lead the product development process, defining customer problems to be solved, building consensus around the best way to solve them and meet our business objectives. You’ll work in an agile manner, learning from our customers, iterating quickly, and deciding when to build for a scalable future and when to hack it together. The role will encompass all hands-on PM work such as writing problem statements, balancing product discovery with delivery and deciding on success metrics. It will also include defining team roadmaps, contributing to product strategy and supporting internal teams during the delivery process. The exact parts of the product you’ll be working on will depend on the needs of the moment and could involve internal tools.
You’re comfortable with the ambiguity that comes with working at an early-stage startup and you don’t need to have everything well defined before you act. You can think both short- and long-term so that you can meet near-term deadlines while iterating toward a future vision. You’re able to zoom out and think strategically, while also being extremely detail-oriented in the hands-on work of building a product. You understand that effective communication is an important part of strong product management, so you present your work clearly and frequently to teammates and customers. You have a passion for the urgency of solving our climate crisis.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience leading product strategy and roadmapping sessions, and building consensus around the best ideas.
- A proven ability to juggle (and articulate) engineering and business constraints to create shippable solutions that address real customer problems.
- An obsession with solving problems for customers and experience in a customer-facing role.
- Experience working on a B2B product.
- Ideally, you’re in a time zone +/- 1 hour from Amsterdam (Central European Timezone), but we are open to US time zones too.
- You’ve worked at an early-stage startup.
- You’ve worked on a product that is machine learning-based so you’ve worked closely with data scientists.
- Knowledge of GIS technologies.
- Experience working on a web product that is primarily used on phones or tablets so you naturally don’t think of mobile as an afterthought.
- Experience localizing products for worldwide audiences.
What you get
- To be part of truly mission-driven work that reduces wildfires, protects earth’s natural resources and helps solve our climate crisis.
- Flexible working environment with a lot of autonomy. We build our work days around our lives, not the other way around.
- Other benefits like a remote working budget, an educational budget and time to develop new skills.
- To be surrounded by an excellent, vibrant, smart team who have each other's back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance and respect.
- Equity and a competitive salary.
About our team
We are a group of 43 people from all over the world. Twelve nationalities are represented in our team. We work remotely from eight different countries and occasionally (optionally!) meet up for in-person collaboration.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion and strive to continually bring in people of all genders, races, creeds, ethnicities, abilities and backgrounds. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem.
We’re always looking to diversify our team further, but we’re proud of the fact that four out of the eight people on our leadership team are female or non-white males, 40% of the overall team are female and 25% of the team are people of color. Our team speaks ten languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Luxembourgish, Indonesian and Cantonese.
Tackling the climate crisis is our greatest mission.
We act with urgency.
Our curiosity fuels our growth.
We recognize that change is constant, and we find joy and power in exploration.
We’re rooted in diversity.
Just as ecosystems need biodiversity to thrive, our resiliency comes from our differences.
We care for each other.
We love the power of machines but we nurture each other as humans.
Trust is fundamental.
We assume the best in everyone, and we share ideas openly so that we have a positive impact.