Full-Stack Software Engineer
Working to solve our climate crisis is the most important mission of our time, and the most exciting problem to be working on. Overstory’s mission is to help solve our climate crisis by providing real-time intelligence about the planet’s vegetation. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation, helping to reduce the risk of wildfires and power outages.
We have already proven our business model and we’re all united behind our ambitious vision to scale up this model to help humanity and the planet. We recently raised a round of funding, led by Convective Capital. Other investors include: B Capital Group, Moxxie Ventures, Capital T, Pale Blue Dot and many other climate-focused investors.
If you want to have a real impact and solve some of the world's most complex challenges with advanced technology, come work with our talented and passionate team. Overstory is based in Amsterdam but we are a remote-first company, with people living all over the U.S. and Europe.
We’re looking for a full-stack engineer to play a leading role in building Overstory’s product, internal tools and platforms.
This is a role for someone entrepreneurial who wants to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty with building a product from the ground up, while creating the tools and systems to support that growing team and product. We’ve developed machine learning models and a web product to display satellite imagery and vegetation intelligence, and now we are improving these, building out tooling so it’s easier and quicker to get our product to more customers. You’ll work closely with the developers, data scientists and designers across our small team to build our high-quality product and tooling so that Overstory has a giant impact on the world.
About the role
Working closely with our Engineering and Product team, you will be building and maintaining web applications and data visualizations that enable non-technical users to leverage the complex models we build. As an example, you might build and maintain an interactive map component that visualizes vegetation at risk of wildfires in a way that allows our customers to make business decisions. Or you might prototype a web tool which helps our quality and delivery teams to rapidly evaluate 3d analysis results. You will work in an agile manner, learning from our customers, iterating quickly, and deciding when to build for a scalable future and when to hack it together.
In this role you will:
- Build and maintain operational dashboards and web applications to enable non-technical users to leverage the complex models we build.
- Collaborate with designers and product managers to develop new products and capabilities.
- Quickly iterate, knowing when to build for a scalable future and when to hack it together.
- Communicate and present your work clearly and frequently to teammates and company leaders.
- Take full ownership of your work.
You have commercial experience building web applications with Typescript and its ecosystem and can use this to solve problems creatively. You have worked in a cross-functional product team alongside other developers. You understand that code is read more than it is written, and you strive for readability and maintainability. You have a passion for the urgency of solving our climate crisis.
We use TypeScript, React, Node.js, FastAPI, and Postgres; we host everything on Google Cloud Platform. We don’t expect you to know this exact stack, but you should have experience with similar technologies.
Ideally, you’re in a time zone +/- 1 hour from CET.
- Experience with Python.
- Knowledge of front-end technologies and browser APIs.
- Experience working with databases and building backend APIs optimized for serving large amounts of data efficiently.
- Ability to work in a flexible manner, supporting the team in building prototypes quickly, and evolving these into scalable production-quality systems.
- Exceptional verbal, written and visual communication skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Understanding of managing and presenting complex data on the web.
- You take calculated risks: you’re comfortable learning as you go and making mistakes.
- Experience working at an early-stage startup.
- Experience with remote work.
- Experience working with data pipelines and machine learning-based products.
- Experience with deep tech, such as remote sensing
- Knowledge of design / cartography, GIS technologies, and standards (e.g. GeoJSON, vector tiles).
- Experience working with a web mapping framework such as Mapbox, Kepler.gl, Leaflet.
What you get
- To be part of truly mission-driven work that reduces wildfires, protects earth’s natural resources and helps solve our climate crisis.
- Flexible working environment with a lot of autonomy. We build our work days around our lives, not the other way around.
- Other benefits like a remote working budget, an educational budget and time to develop new skills.
- To be surrounded by an excellent, vibrant, smart team who have each other's back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance and respect.
- Equity and a competitive salary.
About our team
We are a group of 43 people from all over the world. Twelve nationalities are represented in our team. We work remotely from eight different countries and occasionally (optionally!) meet up for in-person collaboration.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion and strive to continually bring in people of all genders, races, creeds, ethnicities, abilities and backgrounds. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem.
We’re always looking to diversify our team further, but we’re proud of the fact that four out of the eight people on our leadership team are female or non-white males, 40% of the overall team are female and 25% of the team are people of color. Our team speaks ten languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Luxembourgish, Indonesian and Cantonese.
Tackling the climate crisis is our greatest mission.
We act with urgency.
Our curiosity fuels our growth.
We recognize that change is constant, and we find joy and power in exploration.
We’re rooted in diversity.
Just as ecosystems need biodiversity to thrive, our resiliency comes from our differences.
We care for each other.
We love the power of machines but we nurture each other as humans.
Trust is fundamental.
We assume the best in everyone, and we share ideas openly so that we have a positive impact.