Working to solve our climate crisis is the most important mission of our time, and the most exciting problem to be working on. Overstory’s mission is to help solve our climate crisis by providing real-time intelligence about the planet’s vegetation. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation. Today, we proudly partner with 40+ leading utilities worldwide, including 4 of the top 10 US utilities, to help reduce wildfire risk and increase grid reliability to prevent power outages.
We have already proven our business model and we’re all united behind our ambitious vision to scale up this model to help humanity and the planet. We recently closed a $14 million Series A, led by B Capital and welcoming The Nature Conservancy to our collective of climate-minded investors. This milestone includes additional investment and continued support from Convective Capital, Semapa Next, Bentley iTwin Ventures, Pale blue dot, CapitalT, Moxxie Ventures, and Overwater Ventures
If you want to have a real impact and solve some of the world's most complex challenges with advanced technology, come work with our talented and passionate team. Overstory is a remote-first company, with people living all over the U.S. and Europe.
At Overstory, we process gigabytes of geospatial data every day and we are looking for a Data Engineer to help us with that. We have built a robust cloud-based data-processing system and now we need to scale it up as our business grows.
You will help us develop our ETL pipelines and services. Working within our Data Platform team, you will work on systems that process satellite imagery and other data and make it available to our data science team. You will develop systems that download, process, store, and analyze geographical data. You will work with our current data sources and explore new ones. You will support our continued efforts on standardizing and versioning our datasets and models. You’ll build prototypes to try things out quickly and robust data pipelines when it’s time to deploy to production.
About this role
You are creative and curious. Your work is thorough and you pay attention to both the small details and the larger picture. You can work in a flexible manner, supporting the team in building prototypes quickly, and evolving these into scalable production-quality systems. Teamwork is at your core and you like to help others grow and succeed. You have a passion for the urgency of solving our climate crisis.
- At least 4 years of experience scoping, designing, and implementing production-grade data pipelines and processes to meet commercial requirements.
- Extensive working knowledge of Python, SQL, PostgreSQL, (preferably PostGIS), and Git.
- Experience working in a collaborative software development environment with the following tools: version control (Git), code-reviews, release life-cycle management.
- Experience working with satellite imagery or another remote sensing domain.
- Experience working with cloud computing services (GCP, AWS or Azure) and deploying and monitoring large scale parallel distributed computing.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with the Pangeo stack (Jupyter Hub, Dask, Xarray, Zarr, and HDF5 file formats) and/or other Python libraries for satellite imagery manipulation.
- Experience with GDAL, rasterio, and raster operations.
- Working knowledge of a GIS software package such as QGIS or ArcGIS.
- Experience setting up and maintaining a data lake or data warehouse for multiple dataset types.
- Knowledge of geospatial data indexing & storing such as STAC (Spatio-Temporal Asset Catalog).
What you get
- To be part of truly mission-driven work that reduces wildfires, protects earth’s natural resources and helps solve our climate crisis.
- Flexible working environment with a lot of autonomy. We build our work days around our lives, not the other way around.
- Other benefits like a remote working budget, an educational budget and time to develop new skills.
- To be surrounded by an excellent, vibrant, smart team who have each other's back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance and respect.
- Equity and a competitive salary.
About our team
We are a group of 70 people from all over the world. Twelve nationalities are represented in our team. We work remotely from eleven different countries and meet up once a year in-person for our unforgettable team gathering event. We also offer the option to occasionally meet up for in-person collaboration.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion and strive to continually bring in people of all genders, races, creeds, ethnicities, abilities and backgrounds. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem.
We’re always looking to diversify our team further, but we’re proud of the fact that four out of the eight people on our leadership team are female or non-white males, 47% of the overall team are female and 20% of the team are people of color. Our team speaks thirteen languages: English, Dutch, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Luxembourgish, Lithuanian, Bulgarian, Indonesian and Cantonese.
Tackling the climate crisis is our greatest mission.
We act with urgency.
Our curiosity fuels our growth.
We recognize that change is constant, and we find joy and power in exploration.
We’re rooted in diversity.
Just as ecosystems need biodiversity to thrive, our resiliency comes from our differences.
We care for each other.
We love the power of machines but we nurture each other as humans.
Trust is fundamental.
We assume the best in everyone, and we share ideas openly so that we have a positive impact.