5.1. Chief Legal Officer
Burlington, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2022
About Phoenix Tailings
Phoenix Tailings is a rapidly growing clean mining and metals production startup dedicated to sustainable and economic critical metals production. Our mission is to be the world's first fully clean mining and metals production company, producing the resources needed for the next generation of our economy.
Why Phoenix Tailings
At Phoenix, we believe that nothing great is ever accomplished alone or without the passion of people who push and motivate one another. If you are someone who shares our relentless pursuit of a better future, passion for innovation, and are excited about working with some of the top innovators in the world, then this is the place for you.
● You are only crazy if you are wrong
● It’s ok to be wrong
● Lead with Compassion
● Be Resourceful
Who We Are Looking For:
Phoenix Tailings is seeking a Chief Legal Officer who is looking for a career where they can make a significant impact on the world. We encourage applications from individuals who are passionate about sustainability, innovation, and have a proven track record of designing mechanical systems for high-temperature and complex processes.
The successful candidate will be a leader, a team player, and a mentor, bringing expertise and positive influence to our diverse and talented team.
- Provide strategic legal advice and counsel to executive leadership and the board of directors to support the company's growth and long-term objectives in the mining industry.
- Oversee and manage all legal matters related to mining operations, including contracts, agreements, compliance, and permitting.
- Proactively identify legal risks specific to the mining sector and develop strategies to mitigate them effectively.
- Ensure compliance with environmental and mining regulations and maintain an up-to-date understanding of industry-specific legal developments.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to assess potential legal implications and opportunities related to business expansion and acquisitions.
- Review and negotiate complex contracts, partnerships, and joint ventures within the mining industry.
- Manage and coordinate external legal counsel when necessary and monitor legal expenditures.
- Advise on corporate governance matters and ensure compliance with relevant mining regulations and industry standards.
- Champion sustainable and responsible mining practices within the organization.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited law school.
- Admission to the bar in the relevant jurisdiction.
- Minimum of 15 years of legal experience, with a significant portion of that experience focused on the mining industry.
- Demonstrated expertise in mining law, contracts, compliance, and regulatory matters.
- Proven ability to provide strategic legal counsel and navigate complex legal challenges in the mining sector.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Sound judgment and ability to make well-informed decisions in complex legal matters specific to mining operations
We offer a competitive compensation package that is based on expertise. We also offer the following benefits:
- Healthcare, we care about you and your family: 100% Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing venture-backed company.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, annual retreats, and celebrations.
- Learning: Learning & Development Opportunities to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hard-working, kind people committed to making a difference!
- Flexible culture: We are results-focused. We don’t work at the office every day.
At Phoenix Tailings, we have an open culture that values learning, and we are looking to grow the team with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of sustainable mining.
Phoenix Tailings, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity at all levels. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable protected characteristics, and these characteristics will not be a factor for consideration of any work-related decisions (including but not limited to hiring, firing, compensation, and discipline).