Principal Extractive Metallurgist
Woburn, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2023
About Phoenix Tailings
Phoenix Tailings is the world’s first clean mining and metals production company. Each year, the mining industry discards over 200 billion tons of waste (tailings) and produces more than 7% of the world’s carbon emissions. Using our proprietary novel technology, Phoenix Tailings eliminates this harmful waste from the environment and sustainably creates valuable new materials used in next-generation technologies.
The foundation of Phoenix Tailings emerged from a group of friends’ backyard conversations about fixing the broken system of metals production. Today, Phoenix Tailings is one of the top sustainability startups in the world, pioneering zero-waste mining. With funding from the US Department of Energy and National Science Foundation, Phoenix has made significant progress on our clean mining mission.
Why Phoenix Tailings
At Phoenix, we believe that together, the right people can overcome any obstacle and change the world – and we’re looking for those people to join us! This is an opportunity to work in an innovative, fun, and cutting-edge environment focused on revolutionizing how the world’s primary resources are created. If you share our relentless pursuit of a better future, a passion for innovation, and are excited about working with some of the top innovators in the world, Phoenix is the place for you!
You are only crazy if you are wrong
It’s ok to be wrong
Lead with Compassion
What we do
At Phoenix, we build novel chemical processing techniques and technologies that are at the forefront of extracting critical materials in a revolutionary way. By extracting minerals that were previously trapped in tailings, we are transforming the mining industry with our zero-waste mining solutions.
Learn More: Here
Who we are looking for:
Phoenix Tailings is looking for a Senior Metallurgist, Aqueous Chemistry to join our team in Woburn, MA. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, this role will focus on extracting rare earths directly from tailings.
What you will do:
- Lead the development and optimization of hydrometallurgical processes for the extraction and recovery of rare earth elements from tailings
- Design and evaluate new technologies to increase recovery and reduce cost of overall system
- Develop analytical methods to characterize products and process
- Collaborate with the engineering and production team to identify and implement areas for process improvement
- Develop and execute SOPs and protocols for laboratory and pilot-scale systems
- Propose and execute on grant projects including creating and maintaining project budgets
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior staff members
- Maintain awareness of competitive and new technological developments
What you have:
- 7-10+ years of hands-on experience in hydrometallurgy, aqueous chemistry, materials test laboratory, or pilot site operations
- Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Metallurgy, or similar degree
- Background in mining industry, specifically rare earth metals, iron, copper, cobalt, nickel, or zin
- Knowledge of setting up metallurgical test/laboratory programs and on-site commissioning testing
- Familiarity with ASPEN, METSIM, HSC, FactSage, or similar programs
- Familiarity with equipment such as SEM, XRF, IGA, ICP
We offer a competitive compensation package that is based on expertise. We also offer the following benefits:
- Healthcare, we care about you and your family: 100% Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing venture-backed company.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, annual retreats, and celebrations.
- Learning: Learning & Development Opportunities to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hard-working, kind people committed to making a difference!
- Flexible culture: We are results-focused. We don’t work at the office every day.
At Phoenix Tailings, we have an open culture that values learning, and we are looking to grow the team with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of sustainable mining.
Phoenix Tailings, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity at all levels. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable protected characteristics, and these characteristics will not be a factor for consideration of any work-related decisions (including but not limited to hiring, firing, compensation, and discipline).
See more open positions at Phoenix Tailings
Something looks off?