2.4. Rare Earth Separation Engineer
Burlington, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2024
About Phoenix Tailings
Phoenix Tailings is a rapidly growing clean mining and metals production startup dedicated to sustainable and economic critical metals production. Our mission is to be the world's first fully clean mining and metals production company, producing the resources needed for the next generation of our economy.
Why Phoenix Tailings
At Phoenix, we believe that nothing great is ever accomplished alone or without the passion of people who push and motivate one another. If you are someone who shares our relentless pursuit of a better future, passion for innovation, and are excited about working with some of the top innovators in the world, then this is the place for you.
● You are only crazy if you are wrong, it’s ok to be wrong
● Lead with Compassion
● Be Resourceful
Do you want to be at the forefront of sustainable technology, unlocking the power of rare earth elements for the future?
We are seeking a talented and passionate Rare Earth Separation Engineer to join our world-class team in developing and optimizing solvent extraction processes for rare earth element recovery. You will play a crucial role in our mission to extract these critical resources responsibly and efficiently, powering the next generation of clean energy technologies, electric vehicles, and advanced electronics.
- Design and optimize solvent extraction processes for efficient and selective separation of rare earth elements from various feed sources.
- Conduct pilot-scale testing and analyze data to evaluate and improve process performance.
- Develop and implement strategies for solvent selection, extractant design, and process flowsheet optimization.
- Participate in detailed engineering of the solvent extraction system, including equipment selection and sizing.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including hydro metallurgists, chemists, and equipment engineers, to ensure seamless integration of the solvent extraction system.
- Troubleshoot operational issues and identify opportunities for process improvement.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest advancements in solvent extraction technology and rare earth element processing.
- Maintain thorough technical documentation and reports.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering, Extractive Metallurgy, or a related field.
- Master's degree in a relevant field preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in solvent extraction process design and development (specifically for rare earth element separation a plus).
- Strong understanding of chemical equilibrium, mass transfer, and separation science principles.
- Proficiency in process simulation software (e.g., ASPEN Plus, CHEMCAD).
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication and written/verbal skills.
We offer a competitive compensation package that is based on expertise. We also offer the following benefits:
- Healthcare, we care about you and your family: 100% Medical, dental, and vision coverage.
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing venture-backed company.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events and celebrations.
- Learning: Learning & Development Opportunities to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hard-working, kind people committed to making a difference!
- Flexible culture: We are results-focused. We don’t work at the office every day.
At Phoenix Tailings, we have an open culture that values learning, and we are looking to grow the team with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of sustainable mining.
Phoenix Tailings, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity at all levels. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable protected characteristics, and these characteristics will not be a factor for consideration of any work-related decisions (including but not limited to hiring, firing, compensation, and discipline).