Thermal Systems Engineering Internship
Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2023
Our mission is to move humanity off of fossil fuel heating. 20% of US global warming emissions come from homes (that’s more than cars!). The largest driver of home emissions is burning fossil fuels for heat. To stop climate change, over 80M US homes need to transition from combustion to efficient, electric heat pumps over the coming decades.
We believe for this to happen the world needs fantastic products that are easy to purchase. Today's heat pumps lack great design, make limited use of software, and are difficult and stressful to adopt. We are building a next generation, beautifully designed, AI optimized home heating and cooling system that is 10x better than what is on the market today.
Our founders recently left Google, where they had highly successful careers across engineering, design, and product management. We are backed by some of the best climate tech and AI investors in the world.
We are looking for an masters/PHD student studying heat transfer / energy systems with experience working in a HVAC research lab. We are looking for a 3-9 month commitment which would potentially feed into a full time role on Quilt. You would partner with a top team coming from Google, Apple, and Tesla to optimize the performance of a new heat pump product.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or equivalent experience
- Currently pursuing advanced degrees in Thermodynamics/heat transfer.
- Experience working on thermal systems including heat transfer analysis, CFD and thermal FEA, and setting up and running validation tests.
- Experience with optimizing heat exchangers and refrigeration cycles
- Excited to get your hands dirty building an amazing product
- Contribute to a strong, collaborative culture
- Passion for electrification and home automation
- Strong mission alignment around climate and decarbonization
- Thrive in ambiguity and are excited to wear many hats and do what is needed to ship a groundbreaking product.
- Carry out thermal analysis (by hand and with advanced industry software packages) and design key components taking into consideration industrial design tradeoffs, manufacturability, and product performance.
- Run validation testing to ensure the product meets engineering requirements and iterate designs to achieve targets.
- Own product optimizations to improve overall efficiency ratings of devices.
- Build and analyze dynamic models for control design
- You will work closely with other members of the PD team as well we cross functional groups including Industrial Design, Electrical Engineering, Reliability, Product Management and Operations
- Evaluate new technologies and manufacturing partners
This is an opportunity to join a highly ambitious team of people who truly care about the impact of their work and quality of their products. We are on a mission to accelerate a species-level human transition. For over a million years we've been burning things to stay warm. It's time to move to a better way of living.
See more open positions at Quilt Systems
Something looks off?