Environmental Health & Safety Lead
Wixom, MI, USA
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2023
Remora is hiring its first Environmental Health & Safety Lead. This individual has to be a self-starting team player who desires the opportunity to be responsible for building out and maintaining all EHS programs company wide. Currently we have two facilities (Wixom & Livonia) in metro Detroit with the Wixom facility being a start-up manufacturing site and a smaller site in Livonia focused on testing. The EHS Lead will report into the VP of HR and will be the face of EHS internally and externally all while helping to tackle the defining challenges of our time.
We’re a 75-person climate tech startup based in Detroit, MI. We build a device that captures a semi-truck’s carbon emissions directly from the tailpipe. We sell the CO2 to end-users, and split that revenue with our customers, so our device pays for itself in just a couple years.
We’re piloting our technology with some of the largest companies in the world, including three of the Fortune 10, and we’ve raised multiple rounds of funding from leading investors like Lowercarbon Capital, Union Square Ventures, and First Round Capital.
- Develop, implement, and administer programs to promote and maintain required safety, health, and environmental policies to ensure employee safety and environmental compliance
- Create site EHS plans, including Incident Response and Preparedness Plan, Hazardous Materials Business Plan, and other relevant documents relating to compliance.
- Manage permitting and reporting processes for all local, state, and federal regulatory requirements including, but not limited to: State and Local Boards, OSHA, EPA, and all other relevant agencies.
- Conduct/oversee new hire safety and environmental orientation. Develop and maintain ongoing annual employee health and safety training programs.
- Conduct ongoing safety and environmental inspections to control occupational and environmental hazards.
- Perform project and job hazard analyses (JHA) and periodic job safety analysis (JSA) with operations and maintenance management.
- Evaluate operation and maintenance procedures, to ensure employee health and safety and compliance.
- Coordinate and document plant safety training and SOP’s and compliance with all vendors, partners, and third-party contractors.
- Function as Safety Liaison with local police, fire, and other emergency response agencies.
- Work with plant personnel and HR to investigate, report, and track all accidents and incidents.
- Track effectiveness of all EHS programs as appropriate and maintain a database of relevant safety metrics, driving 100% training completion annually.
- Function as a liaison with State, Federal and local agencies on safety and regulatory issues in conjunction with the Facility Operations and Maintenance leads.
- Develop and oversee Process Safety Management (PSM) and Risk Management Program (RMP) procedures, and coordinate activities of PSM/RMP for employees and contractors
- Establish and direct activities of Site Safety Committee
- Support the permitting and regulatory processes of ongoing new facility development and ongoing site improvement projects
- Deliver business results through effective program/project planning, governance, change management, communications, and training.
- Drive continuous improvement in workflows by collaborating with cross-functional teams to assist in streamlining processes
- Conduct daily and weekly safety meetings
- Serve as primary EHS liaison with all outside vendors and contractors to ensure compliance with site safety, environmental, regulatory, and insurance requirements
- Stay current on best practices and regulatory changes that may impact business
- Bachelor of Science or equivalent degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Safety & Health, or closely related fields and at least 5 years
- Minimum of 5+ years of work experience in the environment, health, and safety field
- Documented EHS experience in an industrial setting, or equivalent combination of training and/or experience
- Experience working with local, state, and federal regulatory agencies
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of local, state, and federal regulations (Michigan,OSHA, US EPA)
- Certificates from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (CSP) or the American Board of Industrial Hygiene (CIH),HAZMAT/HAZWOPER, OSHA 30, CHMM are desirable
- Must be able to prepare clear, comprehensive, and concise technical reports for effective communication with a variety of internal and external entities. Must have effective presentation, project management, and communication skills for delivery of training programs and reports to facility employees and visitors, and regulatory agencies. Proficiency in MS Office software including MS Word and Excel
Here’s what we value
- You want to join a fast-paced, fast-growing startup.
- You care deeply about reducing carbon emissions and building power for the historically excluded communities that those emissions will most affect.
- You’re committed to practicing anti-racism and anti-sexism.
- You fully own projects, and you identify and solve problems through completion.
- You adapt to change and appreciate failures as learning opportunities, constructively sharing them with your teammates.
- You improve your teammates’ performance through collaboration. You consistently pursue personal and professional growth for yourself and your teammates.
- You voice respectful disagreement and provide high-quality constructive feedback. You’re an effective and active listener and a clear and concise communicator.
- You voice respectful disagreement and provide high-quality constructive feedback. You’re an effective and active listener, and a clear and concise communicator
- Location: Wixom, MI
- Start date: Jul 17, 2023
- COVID-19: Remora requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Applicants are required to submit proof of vaccination prior to beginning employment. Appropriate COVID-19 safety precautions are implemented in the workplace.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary: $111,000
- Equity: 5,000
- Healthcare (Aetna)
- Retirement (401k)
- Student loan assistance
- Four weeks of paid time off
- Dependent care assistance (childcare or eldercare)
- Parental leave
- Unlimited sick and compassionate leave
- Employee development and coaching
- Office setup (remote) or relocation (in-person) stipend
Climate change disproportionately impacts communities of color, so we’re looking for candidates deeply committed to reducing emissions and to racial justice. People who identify as Black, Indigenous, person of color, female, non-binary, trans, gender non-conforming, or any other identity underrepresented in startups are especially encouraged to apply.
Research shows that women and people of color are less likely to think they are qualified for a position after reading a list of requirements like the one above. If you are worried that you are not qualified, please apply anyway! We’re most excited to work with people who learn quickly and want to tackle the climate crisis.
See more open positions at Remora
Something looks off?