Macroalgae Research Scientist
St. Louis, MO, USA
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2023
The ocean is critical to human and planetary health —but ocean health is in rapid and accelerating decline. We believe that we have the responsibility —and ability —to act.
Running Tide is a global ocean health company. Our fast-growing, multidisciplinary teams of world-class scientists, engineers, and maritime operators, design and implement interventions that rebalance Earth’s carbon cycle, decarbonize global supply chains, restore marine ecosystems, and revitalize coastal communities. Our corporate operations, business development, communications, and policy teams support Running Tide’s front-line workers in scaling our interventions to tackle humanity’s most urgent challenges: restoring ocean health and combating climate change.
We are seeking a(n) early-career scientist to join our Macroalgae Research team. In this position you will lead and coordinate both domestic and international macroalgae field collections supporting and often directly working with Running Tide operatives around the world. When not collecting, this position will perform, design, and maintain various genetic and cultivation experiments to increase the company’s knowledge and develop products. This position is located in St. Louis, MO, USA.
- Perform and contribute to the design of genetic and molecular biology techniques and experiments
- Perform and contribute to the design of macroalgae cultivation and growth experiments
- Support the maintenance and growth of Running Tide’s macroalgae cultures at the St. Louis research hub
- Lead macroalgae field collections in both domestic and international coastal waters.
- Must be able and willing to engage in periodic solo travel for 1-2 weeks at a time.
- Organize and maintain Running Tide’s macroalgae population- and species-level institutional knowledge expertise.
- Strategize and collaborate with other teams (e.g., Business Development and Platform Architecture) to choose collection locations, apply for permits, and assess population and individual-level macroalgae genomic resources to lay the foundation for breeding and trait discovery science
- Prepare reports during and following field experiments to ensure that information and findings are synthesized and easily accessible.
- Maintain detailed and organized records of project data and other materials as needed.
You Are (or You Have):
- MSc in Plant Biology, Genetics, or a related field with an excellent track record of productivity and/or a Bachelors in Science with 3+ years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated history of working in biological laboratories
- Good communicator with a team oriented attitude.
- Excels at communicating both in person and online (through slack, zoom, etc).
- Willingness and ability to work independently, prioritize various workstreams, and strategically anticipate experimental and scientific needs
- Preference and ability to multitask as well as consistently strive to learn new skills
- Desire to work on climate solutions
- Experience in a small biotechnology company or startup.
- Someone who understands a dynamic work environment, wearing multiple hats, and has a desire to learn and build something from the ground up.
- Experience growing / cultivating macroalgae or plants
- Experience phenotyping plants, particularly in the field
- Willingness to become SCUBA certified, as well as drysuit certified
- Experience with Benchling or another similar LIMS/ELN
Our teams operate with utmost persistence. We are tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems, and we are unwavering in our motivation to find a solution. At our core, we are innovators driven to do "more good" rather than "less bad" in the world.
Running Tide is committed to building a diverse team, bringing as many possible perspectives to bear on the unprecedented challenges facing our planet. We are committed to building an inclusive environment where people of all backgrounds can come to do their best work.
All offers of employment at Running Tide are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check.
See more open positions at Running Tide
Something looks off?