Reporting To: Founder & CEO
Environment: We’re hybrid (London or Berlin). In rare cases we'd be able to accomodate candidates who need to work remotely. Candidates would need to have their own right to work (We cannot sponsor visas at present).
Travel: Some travel is required (visiting customers/projects/conferences/team gatherings)
Imagine a thriving, equitable planet where everyone actively participates and benefits from building projects that contribute to a low-carbon economy, safeguarding our environment, and combating climate change. At Opna, we are on a mission to make this vision a reality, becoming the world's most trusted platform for climate finance. Our goal is simple: to unlock the needed capital for every high-quality climate project that addresses climate change with speed, scale, and equity.
About the challenge and our solutions:
5200 businesses worldwide have made commitments to achieve net zero targets by 2050. However, these bold commitments are falling short, with only 7% of companies on track to fulfil their pledges. The reality is that to accelerate this pace and reach their net zero goals in a cost and time efficient manner, corporates will have to offset and inset emissions in the voluntary carbon market (“VCM”).
While the VCM is projected to become a trillion dollar industry, the prevalent mechanism in the market of purchasing carbon credits is strained by quality concerns and supply shortfalls, exacerbated by an anticipated explosion of demand in the years ahead.
To achieve their net zero commitments, an increasing number of corporates are seizing control by directly financing the carbon projects underlying the carbon credits. However, these businesses are having a hard time mobilising their capital due to a lack of in-house expertise, high transaction costs, analogue infrastructure, and time-consuming processes. Opna's goal is to provide the platform, data, and financing innovation that unlocks this capital, bridging the gap between corporates committed to reaching net-zero and carbon projects that seek financing.
We offer a carbon projects financing platform that helps businesses discover, finance, and manage pre-assessed carbon removal and reduction projects to accelerate their journey to net zero. Through our software, we improve the discovery of carbon projects, standardize financing processes and contracts, offer digitized carbon portfolio & asset management tools, and bring down the time and cost of due diligence projects through our proprietary risk assessment framework.
As the Marketing Lead at Opna, you will drive our efforts to establish a strong brand presence, engage our target audience, and communicate our mission and impact. Collaborating closely with Shilps, Opna's founder and CEO, you will lead our marketing initiatives while contributing to a sustainable world.
You’ll experience the profound impact and unparalleled reach of your work daily. You’ll be part of empowering FTSE 500 companies to reach their net-zero targets, unlocking timely and equitable financing for our project partners and their communities. Your contributions will ripple through the communities protecting our forests and biodiversity and will shape climate commitments in corporate boardrooms.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Strategic Planning: Build and execute on Opna’s marketing and communication strategy.
- Brand Building: Develop and execute strategies to position Opna as a trusted name in voluntary carbon markets and climate finance.
- Content Creation: Lead the creation of compelling content, including blog posts, social media updates, newsletters, and thought leadership pieces.
- Audience Engagement: Develop and implement strategies to engage our corporate financier and project developer target audience and in turn grow our community.
- Marketing Campaigns: Plan and execute marketing campaigns to drive customer acquisition and engagement.
- Public Relations: Manage Opna's public relations efforts to secure media coverage and partnerships.
- Event Management: Oversee our participation in industry events and conferences within the climate space.
- Performance Analytics: Monitor and analyse the performance of marketing initiatives, adjusting strategies as needed.
- Team Collaboration: Collaborate with our internal teams to align marketing efforts with business goals.
Required Skills and Qualifications
To thrive in this role, you should have the following:
- Marketing Expertise: Proven experience in marketing, preferably in a related field such as sustainability, FinTech, climate finance or carbon markets and have built something from scratch before..
- Ability to work independently: Be an individual contributor and ready to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in.
- Creative Thinking: Strong creative and strategic thinking skills to develop innovative marketing campaigns and content to engage our audience.
- Communication: Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Analytical Skills: Proven ability to analyse data and extract actionable insights to optimise Opna’s marketing strategies.
- Team Collaboration: Collaborative mindset for working closely with internal teams and external partners.
- Adaptability: Capability to adapt to evolving marketing trends and strategies within carbon markets.
- Project Management: Strong organisational and project management skills.
- Passion for Carbon Markets: A deep passion for sustainability, climate change, and environmental issues.
- Previous experience in marketing for a startup or in the climate finance/carbon market sector.
- Familiarity with the evolving carbon market ecosystem.
You will thrive in this role if you:
- Can own and deliver whilst working collaboratively with team members.
- Enjoy the dynamic nature of an early-stage startup, embracing a fast-learning and fast-moving environment.
- Are curious, open to differing opinions, and enjoy sharing your domain knowledge and perspective.
- Value working in diverse environments with people from different backgrounds and experiences.
- Find fulfilment in collaborating with and building relationships with peers.
Our Interview Process
We’re swift at moving things along for you. We need you to meet several people (onsite/virtually) because of the responsibility that comes with this role and ensure this is right for you.
- Video Screening
- Quick video call with our Chief of Staff, Roxanne Pryor
- Video call with our CEO, Shilpika Gautam
- Marketing Case Study take home task & presentation
- Meet the team
- Final meet with Shilpika
Competitive salary, generous options, 25 days holiday + bank holidays, pension, homeworking set-up allowance.
Today, we’re a small and agile team across London, Berlin and Barcelona. Collectively we have deep experience and expertise across capital markets, carbon markets, climate finance and FinTech. We keep each other accountable. We rely on regular and open communication. We share our optimism for finding solutions to climate change. We’re gritty and actively practise empathy. We are serious about our work but don't take ourselves too seriously!
Diversity & Inclusion
We know that diversity is multifaceted and intersectional, and we want to build a company where different identities and perspectives can come together to deliver on our mission and vision. We are a venture-backed company founded and led by a woman of colour. 100% of our team today has their roots in the global south, and over half of our pre-seed investors identify as women. We speak English, Hindi, Spanish and French across our team.