Lead Full Stack Engineer
Role: Lead Full Stack Engineer
Environment: London - Hybrid +Some Travel (E.g., conferences, offsites)
Other: We cannot sponsor visas at this time
Imagine a thriving, equitable planet where everyone actively participates and benefits from building projects that contribute to a low-carbon economy, safeguarding our environment, and combating climate change. At Opna, we want to make this vision a reality - by unlocking the needed capital for every high-quality climate project that addresses climate change with speed, scale, and equity.
We stand at a pivotal moment in the fight against climate change. We must rapidly undo the centuries-long impact of fossil fuels. This demands an unprecedented infrastructure revolution - we must rapidly scale high-quality climate projects that remove and reduce carbon dioxide from our atmosphere. High-quality carbon projects, from afforestation to biochar, to newer/frontier technologies encounter formidable barriers in accessing necessary financing - that’s where Opna comes in. We’re combining data, financing innovation, and technology to help high-quality climate projects access right timed, right sized financing, anywhere in the world.
Opna offers a software platform for climate-action-committed companies to finance and manage high-quality carbon projects in a standardised, transparent, and cost effective way.
The world’s leading climate-action committed companies are moving away from simply buying carbon credits, to directly financing carbon projects. Thousands of other companies, big and small must follow suit, but simply do not have the inhouse resources, expertise, or large budgets to contract with projects in a cost-effective, transparent, and knowledgeable way.
Opna’s software allows companies to discover a wide range of high-quality carbon projects, understand their risk and impact using Opna’s proprietary risk-assessment engine, finance projects using standardised tools and finally, monitor and report on projects’ post financing.
We’re making carbon projects financing more accessible, cheaper and 100% transparent, enabling companies big and small to take credible climate action. This also helps solve the massive project financing gap and brings net-new supply of high quality carbon projects to the market.
We’re a small and agile team across London, Berlin, and Barcelona. Collectively we have deep experience and expertise across capital markets, carbon markets, climate finance, and FinTech. We hold each other accountable and give regular and open communication. We share our optimism for finding solutions to climate change. We’re gritty and actively practice empathy. We are serious about our work, but don’t take ourselves too seriously!
Opna is looking for an experienced and ambitious Lead Full Stack Engineer. Inheriting our product and tech stack, your mission is to help us build a world class product and scalable technology. As a Lead Engineer, you will be the role model for product centricity, quality, pace, and dedication to Opna’s mission.
As the Lead Full Stack Engineer at Opna you will be a hands-on leader. As well as being a strong individual contributor you will be responsible for providing technical leadership, overseeing the development process, code reviews, and collaborating with product and business teams to identify, define and prioritise customer and business needs. You’ll also be staying current on industry trends and the company’s evolving needs to make informed decisions about our technology and architecture. You will help us shape and improve our current product and evolve our technical stack as needed. Our current stack is built on Python/Postgres backend and React/Typescript frontend with AWS and Docker infrastructure.
- Technical Leadership
- Providing technical leadership for the development team.
- Setting and implementing coding standards and best practices.
- Support future interviews to expand the Engineering team.
- Full Stack Development and Design
- Designing and developing holistic solutions to customer problems across both front-end and back-end components of applications.
- Maintaining front-end and back-end systems and ensuring seamless integration between them.
- Making decisions on the overall technology stack and system architecture
- Documenting development decisions and processes
- Collaboration with internal and external stakeholders
- Work closely with our customers (e.g. participating in Demos, requirements scoping, feedback sessions) and our product and design team to understand, scope out and build product requirements.
- Contribute to, and lead planning sessions (currently, we do weekly planning sessions).
- See things through to customers’ hands. Ensure that we deliver what's planned with a bias to speed of execution while taking sensible trade-offs against quality and scope.
We think the person below will thrive here…
- You want to dedicate your skills and experience to solving climate challenges - We are an early stage company building in a nascent market. Without the alignment with our mission, You will likely find the going hard, and the learning curve steep.
- You care deeply about customer and business needs first - and then see technology as the most effective way to solve them. This is a critical distinction because you will be heavily involved in product validation/ scoping/testing and product design, from the get-go.
- You want to, and are comfortable working in an early stage environment, where your role may stretch beyond the responsibilities of a developer and your day-to-day will involve rapid changes and associated chaos.
- You are comfortable working with our current tech stack, but are also able to learn, discover and implement new technologies, as they become relevant for our product.
- 0-1/early startup experience, and experience in the role as a Lead
- Excellent experience across the full stack
- Experience with Cloud technologies
- Experience with CI/CD and docker containers
- Experience with test driven development
- Excellent communication and collaboration with distributed teams
- Experience with customer/market conversation and translating customer needs and problems into product solutions (with a team)
- Belief that climate change is the number one problem to solve
- Extreme sense of ownership and urgency to get stuff done, to a high standard.
- Thrives on clear communication and expectation setting
- Thrives with high accountability, high visibility, and high-impact career
- Confident in their ability to proactively collaborate and be autonomous
- Resilient, hard working, and robust to changing environments. Will roll their sleeves up and fight the fires when needed
- Curious, open to differing opinions, and enjoy sharing your domain knowledge and perspective.
While we have strong due diligence due to the high impact position, the process is swift, pragmatic, and friendly!
- Screen with Talent Partner
- Video call with Head of Product
- Technical assessment (task)
- Onsite with our Head of Product and Senior Frontend Engineer
- Chat with CEO, Shilps
- Call with investor(s)
- References to Offer
Competitive Salary + VSOP. 25 days hol+ bank hols, stat pension, home setup allowance.
We know that diversity is multifaceted and intersectional, and we want to build a company where different identities and perspectives can come together to deliver on our mission and vision. We are a venture-backed company founded and led by a woman of colour. 100% of our team today has their roots in the global south, and over half of our pre-seed investors identify as women. We speak English, Hindi, Spanish and French across our team.