At Span, we are building products to drive the rapid adoption of renewable energy by designing the infrastructure for a distributed, renewable grid. Our smart panel reinvents home electrical systems as part of the distributed grid and makes user-friendly renewable energy at the center of the smart home, presenting intelligent load-balancing and revolutionary edge-of-grid controls to homeowners through the Span mobile app.
The Research and Development Org is the driving force behind SPAN's technology. The team designs and builds test setups and experiments crafting a pathway that will meet the needs at hand, moving collectively and independently across department constraints. The Welsh and Eccles Lab facilities are solely focused on implementing the vision and practical application of product testing and development.
The R&D Support Team is focused on the success of the lab through the smooth operation of equipment and facilities. ST Technicians will work with other techs, engineers, managers and execs, picking up where needed and collaborating to provide vital support in the development of SPAN. Candidates need experience in assembly, light fabrication, electrical safety, cable termination, machine maintenance, and data capture. A good ST technician is an effective manager of their time and is proficient in communication within company platforms.
- Maintain clean, tidy and safe workshops and laboratories
- Organize materials and tools on a daily basis, fostering a creative and welcoming environment
- Assemble and manage test equipment, interpreted from engineer and team requests
- Track test equipment condition, tools, and wear and tear items to maintain lab functions
- Manage workflows to ensure experiments remain on schedule
- Perform shipping and receiving duties including packing, unpacking, inspection, and distribution
- Liaise with teams for onsite work days, setup and teardown of workstations, tools and materials
A successful lab technician is a social person, who works well with others, takes direction and has competency handling many different types of personalities in a professional and high pressure environment. Eager worker and looking to expand their knowledge base and help develop new products. Possibly transitioning from field work, school, or contracting and looking for a long term, growth oriented position at a growing company. A strong problem solver who enjoys learning while correcting mistakes in a diligent manner.
- Ability to operate and maintain and learn a wide variety of electronic equipment, shop tools, and instruments
- Experience assembling equipment, 80/20, strut channel, and similar mechanical systems
- Requires use of warehouse equipment (pallet jacks, forklift, etc) and ability to lift heavy objects no greater than 50 pounds
- Some familiarity with job ticketing and or the Atlassian Suite (Jira, Confluence)
- Strong people skills, competency in social situations, often involving people outside of the company.
- Familiar with safety standards and certifications, training individuals and groups, and protocol implementation
- Knowledge of heating and cooling systems (HVAC), appliance repair/installation, and thermal test chambers
- Electrical certification
- High voltage training
- Forklift certification
- Safety training
- Certified welder; stick, mig and tig
- First aid / AED / CPR certified
- 5+ years work experience in technical environment as team lead
The U.S. base salary range for this position is $78,000 - $115,000 plus benefits, equity and variable compensation for Sales-related roles. This range represents SPAN’s good faith estimate of competitively-priced salary for the role based on national, real-time industry data from companies of a similar growth stage. This range reflects minimum and maximum new hire salaries for the role across US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by location and individual factors including relevant skills, experience and education or training. This range correlates to the relative level of the candidate we believe we need for the role and may require an adjustment for candidates of a different level.
Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the location this role is based during the hiring process.
Life at SPAN
Headquartered in San Francisco’s vibrant SoMa neighborhood, we are an eclectic group of creative thinkers who value open communication, teamwork, and a ‘make it happen’ approach to addressing complex challenges. SPAN embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re hiring talented individuals who are driven by success and are passionate about shaping the future of renewable energy. If that sounds like you, we’d love for you to consider joining the rapidly growing team at SPAN.
⚡ Competitive compensation + equity grants at a well-funded, venture-backed company
⚡ Comprehensive benefits (including medical; dental, vision, life and disability insurance)
⚡ Comfortable, sunny office space located near BART and Caltrain public transit
⚡ Strong focus on team building and company culture (events, meet-ups, clubs)
⚡ Flexible hours and unlimited PTO