Sales Manager - California
SPAN develops products that accelerate the rapid adoption of renewable energy in the home. The flagship SPAN Smart Panel is the first true evolution for the traditional home electric panel, harnessing enhanced technology for metering, monitoring, and control. An expanded product suite of intelligent, integrated solutions including our EV Charger radically lowers the cost and complexity of energy upgrades–including solar, batteries and EVs–empowering homeowners to be active, resilient and informed players in the energy market.
The California Sales Manager is a important new role in the growth of SPAN. It is an opportunity to develop the strategic high growth market of California in the mid-tier and top end of longer tail accounts. With the size of the market and SPAN’s strong fit for a wide variety of applications around electrification including Solar, EV, HVAC and general electrical infrastructure we are looking to more deeply penetrate this well matched market. We are looking for someone with passion and experience selling to Solar sales and installation companies and/or residential Electrical / HVAC Contractors. This role reports to the VP of Sales.
- Lead sales for the Mid-Tier Solar and Electrical/HVAC contractors in California with an focus on activating and/or growing 50-100 named accounts and building the top of the funnel
- Source and build relationships within the target customers through your direct efforts, personal network and demand SPAN has generated
- Work with senior leadership and across the organization including sales and operations at these companies to onboard SPAN and build their sales strategy and execution plan
- Work cross-functionally to ensure programs are developed and executed through marketing, supply chain, product and operations teams
- Understand and monitor industry trends and regulations such as the IRA as it relates to energy and the customer benefits and be able to articulate these to our customers
We are seeking a Sales Manager who has:
- 3-5+ years of B2B experience and success selling to Solar Companies, Electrical/HVAC contractors or similar industries
- Demonstrated ability for the art of technical sales: driving urgency, consultative selling and closing business
- Comfort working with the owners and executive and leadership teams at companies up to $50M in revenue
- Strong analytical and operational skills to help customers incorporate SPAN into their business
- A solid and genuine understanding of technology, specifically relevant to smart home, electrification, and sustainable or renewable energy
- Ability to create a long term vision and engage key stakeholders to execute on that vision
- Ability to get things done in a fast-paced startup environment
- Strong team-player with proven track record of working effectively with all stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Positive mindset and attitude, and a passion for rapidly scaling residential electrification and renewable energy solutions
- Expectation of 10 customer in person meetings/week complemented by additional virtual meetings as appropriate. These include sales meetings, customer trainings, support of distribution, events, and more. The amount of overnight travel will depend on where the candidate live as a higher concentration in Southern CA
- Desired base location is Los Angeles/Orange County Metro Area
- Experience working at a national or regional Solar Company or Electrical contractor
- Past experience selling or marketing a new technology for a company
The U.S. base salary range for this position is $108,000 - $145,000 plus a target annual commission of $54,000-72,500, plus benefits and equity. This base salary range and commission target represent the amounts that SPAN reasonably expects to pay for this position across US locations. These amounts reflect SPAN’s good faith estimate of competitively-priced compensation for the role based on national, real-time industry data from companies of a similar growth stage. Within the base salary range, individual pay is determined by location and individual factors including relevant skills, experience and education or training. This base salary range correlates to the relative level of the candidate we believe we need for the role and may require an adjustment for candidates of a different level. Actual commission amounts will vary based on actual sales, location and market conditions. Your recruiter can share more about the specific base salary range and target commission amount for the location where this role is based during the hiring process.
Life at SPAN
Headquartered in San Francisco’s vibrant SoMa neighborhood, we are an eclectic group of creative thinkers who value open communication, teamwork, and a ‘make it happen’ approach to addressing complex challenges.
SPAN embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We’re hiring talented individuals who are driven by success and are passionate about shaping the future of renewable energy. If that sounds like you, we’d love for you to consider joining the rapidly growing team at SPAN.
⚡ Competitive compensation + equity grants at a well-funded, venture-backed company
⚡ Comprehensive benefits (including medical; dental, vision, life and disability insurance)
⚡ Comfortable, sunny office space located near BART and Caltrain public transit
⚡ Strong focus on teambuilding and company culture (events, meet-ups, clubs)
⚡ Flexible hours and unlimited PTO