Mechanical Engineering Co-op July- December 2024
At Span, we are building products to drive the rapid adoption of renewable energy and enable a more modern, flexible grid. Span’s smart panel replaces the standard electrical panel to become the center for connected power in the home, providing intelligent load-balancing and revolutionary edge-of-grid controls through the Span mobile app.
The Span engineering team is made of experienced, passionate people with expertise in electronics, mechanical design, energy systems, and embedded software. We are seeking a passionate mechanical engineering student or new grad to join the hardware development team of SPAN. As a mechanical engineering intern, you will apply your knowledge mechanical design and manufacturing processes to assist Span’s hardware design, testing, and manufacturing efforts .
In this role, you will:
- Create mechanical design concepts for various products (Plastics, Metal and Glass) and develop these in 3D CAD
- Coordinate with different internal and external stakeholders to ensure project completion
- Build prototype components and assemblies and perform tests related to compliance, environmental, and reliability with appropriate documentation for the same
- Create detailed 2D drawings using GD&T when applicable
- Work with contract manufacturers to have parts made to specification, to improve quality and yield
- Provide mechanical engineering support for both new product development activities as well as factory support of existing products through testing and creating manufacturing fixtures
We are seeking a mechanical engineer who is:
- Working towards a BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- Experience fabricating, assembling and testing prototypes
- Ability to design mechanical parts using 3D CAD Software and be passionate about concept explorations and technology investigations.
- Excited about digging into complex problems and seeing them through to solution
- Passionate about renewable energy and energy storage.
We would love to hire someone who has:
- Experience designing for solar or renewable energy applications
- Experience designing parts for various part fabrication techniques machining, sheet metal forming, stamping, plastic forming, and injection molding.
- Experience running, environmental testing or reliability testing.
- Knowledge of high-volume manufacturing processes and materials
The co-op position has a duration of 6 months and will run from July- December of 2024. Candidates must be enrolled in an accredited college or university, and have not graduated prior to end of the co-op term.
The hourly rate for this role is $30/ hour for undergrad students, and $32/hr for Masters or PhD students.
Life at Span
Span is a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Impacting the future as a small, agile team means putting in a lot of hard work and elbow grease so we work to make sure you are happy, healthy, and you look forward to coming to work. Working at Span, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation
- Sunny, airy office located close to BART and Caltrain
- Regular team lunches, brown bag learning opportunities and events
- Opportunity to influence our culture
Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.