Senior Process Engineer
Somerville, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2023
Background & Overview
Sublime Systems is a technology company commercializing affordable, ultra-low-carbon cement. Sublime's breakthrough replaces the industry's legacy fossil fuel-fired kilns with an electrochemical system that operates at ambient temperature, eliminating the use of fossil fuel and the need for limestone, resulting in low-carbon, low-embodied energy cement. This technology has the potential to drive gigaton-scale CO2 reductions in an industry responsible for 8 percent of global emissions. Sublime is backed by mission-aligned investors, including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital. We are building a diverse and collaborative team of folks who are "amped about cement" (pun intended), who share our values (excellence, creativity, and teamwork), and our motivation to create a better world.
This is an exciting opportunity to transform how the world makes cement. Sublime Systems seeks a creative and dynamic engineer to drive thought leadership in the scale up of Sublime’s process technology. This role will collaborate with R&D, pilot, and scale up teams to transfer process technology from pilot scale to demo/commercial scale.
- Drive cross-functional (Engineering, R&D, Pilot) development projects to move novel unit operation concepts through Sublime’s technology pipeline to a commercial scale.
- Scope, manage, and track project-specific vendor activities:
- Initial research, ranking, and engagement of equipment/instrument vendors.
- Coordination and oversight of process testing at vendor facilities
- Competitive bid review of multiple vendors and/or process technologies
- Perform process development and scale-up calculations and analyses including:
- Equipment design calculations
- Mass & energy balance simulations
- Techno-economic modeling and analysis
- Generate process engineering deliverables including:
- Mass and energy balance stream tables
- Process Flow Diagrams
- Equipment Specifications
- Support the development of Process Design Packages via 3rd party vendors
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- The ideal candidate has a strong knowledge of and passion for applying chemical engineering fundamentals to chemical plant design and operation with a strong willingness to learn. Successful candidates will be results-driven, ambitious, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities.
- B.S. in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, or a related field with 10+ years of process engineering experience
- Demonstrated experience developing Basic Engineering Packages (BEPs) and/or Front End Engineering Design (FEED) packages for capital projects > $50M in the chemical, specialty chemical, minerals, food and beverage, or other relevant industry. Experience in skidded equipment project approach a plus.
- Demonstrated experience scoping/tracking/executing capital projects to outside engineering firms, EPCs, industry consultants, and other 3rd party stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience developing fundamental engineering models and calculations to support equipment and process design.
- Novel reactor design experience including but not limited to:
- Plug flow reactor
- Continuous Stir Tank Reactor
- Fluid Bed Reactor
- Demonstrated experience with chemical process simulation software (Aspen, OLI, MetSim, etc).
- Versatile. Capable of developing detail oriented analyses while being happy to roll up sleeves and solve hands on problems.
- Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Research suggests that qualified people from historically marginalized groups may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
See more open positions at Sublime Systems
Something looks off?