Chemical Process Development Co-Op/Intern
Somerville, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, March 1, 2023
Background & Overview
Sublime Systems is a technology company commercializing affordable, ultra-low-carbon cement. Sublime's breakthrough replaces the industry's legacy fossil fuel-fired kilns with an electrochemical system that operates at ambient temperature, eliminating the use of fossil fuel and the need for limestone, resulting in low-carbon, low-embodied energy cement. This technology has the potential to drive gigaton-scale CO2 reductions in an industry responsible for 8 percent of global emissions. Sublime is backed by mission-aligned investors, including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital. We are building a diverse and collaborative team of folks who are "amped about cement" (pun intended), who share our values (excellence, creativity, and teamwork), and our motivation to create a better world.
The role will focus on chemical process optimization, materials synthesis, and characterization. This role is expected to be hands-on, with a significant amount of time spent engaging in lab testing. The ideal candidate will have experience working in chemistry or chemical engineering laboratories. Successful candidates will be results-driven, ambitious, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Performing lab experiments including materials synthesis and characterization, analyzing data, and presenting results
- Contributing to the development of Sublime’s process through literature reviews and informational interviews with industry experts
- Championing safety, especially in the development and execution of experimental processes
- Fostering Sublime Systems’ reputation by delivering innovative solutions
- Helping to develop a supportive, innovative, and dynamic company culture
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
- Pursuing a B.S. or M.S. in chemical engineering, materials science, chemistry, or a related field.
- Strong knowledge of chemical engineering and chemistry fundamentals, especially acid-base chemistry, solubility and precipitation, chemical kinetics, and continuous reactor design.
- Able to perform lab work including including preparing solutions, setting up and operating laboratory reactors, and carrying out analytical methods such as titrations.
- Able to lift objects up to 50 lbs.
- Familiarity with physical and chemical characterization techniques such as SEM, XRD, XRF, BET, and ICP is a plus.
- Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Research suggests that qualified people from historically marginalized groups may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
See more open positions at Sublime Systems
Something looks off?