VP of Finance
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
Sublime Systems is a technology company commercializing affordable, ultra-low-carbon cement. Sublime's breakthrough replaces the industry's legacy fossil fuel-fired kilns with an electrochemical system that operates at ambient temperature, eliminating the use of fossil fuel and the need for limestone, resulting in low-carbon, low-embodied energy cement. This technology has the potential to drive gigaton-scale CO2 reductions in an industry responsible for 8 percent of global emissions. Sublime is backed by mission-aligned investors, including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital. We are building a diverse and collaborative team of folks who are "amped about cement" (pun intended), who share our values (excellence, creativity, and teamwork), and our motivation to create a better world.
Sublime Systems is a technology company commercializing affordable, ultra low-carbon cement that can be used in virtually any application under existing standards. Sublime's breakthrough process replaces the industry's legacy fossil fuel-fired kilns with an electrochemical system that operates at ambient temperature and eliminates the use of fossil fuel and limestone, resulting in a zero-carbon, low-embodied energy cement. This technology has the potential to drive gigaton-scale reductions in an industry responsible for 8 percent of global emissions. Sublime is backed by mission-aligned investors, including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital. We are building a diverse and collaborative team of folks who are "amped about cement" (pun intended), who share our values of excellence, creativity, and teamwork, and our motivation to create a better world.
Sublime Systems is looking to hire a VP of Finance (CFO for the right candidate) who is a dynamic individual with startup experience to help secure future financing rounds, inform company strategy, and run financial operations. We seek a candidate who has previously been an integral part of a growth-stage hardtech startup and has led its fundraising strategy from initial market to full-scale commercialization. The candidate needs to be a great strategic leader and team builder who is dedicated to reducing carbon emissions.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Partner with Sublime’s senior team to evolve strategy, evaluate risks and strategic scenarios, manage cash, and provide knowledge of financial drivers and opportunities.
- Create and use financial data to challenge assumptions, help make strategic and operational decisions, and provide actionable advice about all aspects of our business.
- Understand, create, track, and report on metrics for the levers that drive positive unit economics for Sublime's products as well as our company’s long-term financial health.
- Find and manage sources of non-equity capital, including debt financing, grants, etc.
- Be a member of Sublime Systems’ management team responsible for working with CEO and board of directors to define and, when necessary, update Sublime Systems’ fundraising strategy.
- Along with the CEO, be a primary point of contact for investors who are interested in understanding Sublime Systems’ technology, from initial pitch through to investment.
- Screen investors and work directly with CEO for deal negotiations with serious investors.
- Interface with Sublime Systems’ board of directors and, alongside the CEO, be a primary point of contact for fundraising discussions.
- Lay groundwork for building a team of finance professionals and, when the time is right, execute on a hiring strategy to fill these roles.
- Interface directly with all parts of company to oversee company budgeting and spending.
- Identify and constructively work with management team to fill any strategic gaps in Sublime Systems’ roadmap.
- Provide financial analysis and strategic finance engagement to support corporate goals and other functions (E.g., project finance, asset finance)
- Work with the CEO, COO, and other executives to coordinate planning and establish priorities for the planning process.
- Study long-range economic trends and project their impact on future growth in sales and market share.
- Own the annual (and quarterly) financial planning/budgeting process
- Work with the CEO, COO, and other departmental leads to coordinate planning and establish priorities for the planning/budgeting process.
- Work with the executive team to decide resource allocation: identify opportunities for reorganization, downsizing, or expansion.
- Analyze and present budget vs actuals; make or oversee any necessary adjustments to future projections and budgets.
- Run a high-performance accounting function
- Creation of financial statements, shareholder reports, tax returns, and governmental agency reports
- Managing vendor relationships
- Oversee tax and audit process (when applicable)
- To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies:
- Investor Facing: Acts in a professional manner with customers at all times. Ability to speak well when talking with a single person, or a dozen people. Comfortable fielding both business questions and moderately technical questions from investor contacts.
- Strategic Thinking: Can translate Management Team’s 5 and 10 year vision into quarterly goals. Can break the quarterly goals down into weekly deliverables. Able to manage other effectively to deliver on weekly, quarterly, and yearly tasks / goals.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
- Oral/Written Communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity. Ability to create, read and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
- Planning/Organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and has ability to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal networks and trust within the organization.
- Safety Culture: Adheres to the Sublime Systems’ Safety culture and is expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high standards.
- Degree in accounting, finance, or Master of Business Administration
- CPA designation is preferred
- 10+ years of experience in chemical industry or clean-tech with emphasis on scaling and deploying new technology.
- Direct experience with raising or supporting fundraising rounds >$50 million dollars for early-stage companies.
- Direct experience with pre-commercial or early commercial products, able to understand how product development roadmaps and technical milestones translate into future profitability.
- In-depth knowledge of corporate finance law and risk management practices
- Expertise in data analysis and forecasting methods
- Ability to strategize, solve problems, and be entrepreneurial
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to work in-person at Sublime’s Somerville, MA, HQ (desired)
Search supported by True
Please contact Chris.firstname.lastname@example.org, Shelby.email@example.com, or Alex.firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.