Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer (Location: San Francisco/Hybrid)
What is Verse?
At Verse, our mission is to unlock the benefits of clean power for organizations everywhere. Verse’s software platform, Aria, is the first to leverage generative AI to make it faster, easier, and more cost-effective for companies to buy and manage clean power.
Climate change and energy market volatility are driving companies across all industries to announce emissions reduction commitments. Despite these commitments, direct renewable energy purchases are currently only accessible to a small handful of the world’s largest companies. Verse was created to solve this problem. By empowering companies to define, design, manage, and report on optimal portfolios of clean energy assets, Verse helps accelerate and scale corporate decarbonization efforts.
The Senior Software Engineer will design, procure, and implement the required production software environments and full stack software tooling to prototype, develop, deploy, and maintain Verse’s analytics application. The “Analytics” tool will ingest customer and 3rd party data to formulate recommendations in support of clients’ cost and emissions reduction objectives.
- Create and foster a culture of test-driven development
- Build, maintain, and scale web services and cloud infrastructure to support our applications
- Build, maintain, and scale CI / CD infrastructure and tooling
- Design and implement backend APIs that integrate with Frontend UI/UX elements and data infrastructure
- Integrate optimization models with larger software application ecosystem
- Work closely with optimization engineers to develop and implement optimization code within the analytical tooling for internal and eventually external users
- Contribute to data engineering tools and processes
- Continuously evaluate and recommend new and useful software tools as they are released for general availability
- Develop applications to support delivery of analysis to customers
- Participate in customer conversations to enhance product engineering
- Translate customer requirements into Analytics tool functionality, features, and outputs
Guide and mentor less senior engineers
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or a related engineering field
- 5+ years of experience building web applications in service oriented architectures
- Experience implementing highly available distributed systems and microservices
- Experience designing scalable backend APIs with Go or Python
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure
- Keen awareness of open source software
Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a bias towards action
- Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field
- Experience leading technical teams and setting technical direction
- Experience architecting and developing solutions to ambiguous problems with significant impact
- Interest and ability to learn new web application frameworks
- Familiarity with "Big Data" tools in a cloud-native setting
- Familiarity with AI / ML landscape
Profession or academic experience working in the energy sector
What makes Verse a great place to work?
- We lead with empathy. Empathy for our teammates and our customers is central to who we are. We lift each other up and strive to embody humility, selflessness, and kindness. We promote an emotionally aware attitude and culture by putting our colleagues and customers first. We respect the prior art and acknowledge those who have come before us. We never assume we know everything: every person has something to teach us.
- We are open, honest, and transparent. Organizational and institutional trust is essential to tackling the world’s most challenging problems. That trust is built on effective communication with our team, our customers, and other stakeholders. We are always receptive to feedback on how we could do better, and we strive to provide constructive recommendations that help others excel.
- We move with balance and precision. Life is a delicate balance between the forces of creation, maintenance, and destruction. We understand that each of these forces must be applied with diligence: When we act, we act carefully and responsibly. Speed, hard work, and perseverance must be accompanied by thoughtfulness and reflection.
We are pursuing a labor of love. We are passionate about renewable energy technology, and we like to dream big. We are disrupting the largest and most expensive machine humanity has ever built – the electricity system. We believe the greatest impact we can have on the climate crisis is through building elegant solutions and exceptional products that delight our customers.
- Competitive compensation and equity grant at a high growth start up
Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, and 401k
- Flexible hours and unlimited PTO
- Diverse and inclusive working environment
Verse is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and compensation without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital or familial status.