Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 4, 2023
Title: Geology Technician
Location: Mobilize out of the Salt Lake City metropolitan area, but field work will extend through the western United States.
Field Work Schedule: 14 days on/14 days off rotations
Manager: Field Operations Manager / Field Geologist
- $21.00 per hour + production bonus (typically $310 to $390 total per day)
- Per Diem provided at GSA standard rate ($59 per day)
- Eligible for full-time employment and benefits following 6-month season
- Company covers lodging (hotel) or reimburses at GSA rate if unavailable
- Company vehicle provided to field team during work rotations
Mission – Why we exist and why we need you
Geothermal energy is a massive renewable energy resource sitting below our feet. There is 2,300 times more energy in geothermal heat in the ground than in oil, gas, coal, and methane combined. However, historically it’s been hard to find and expensive to develop. Zanskar is changing that. Our team of geoscientists, data scientists, seismologists, and developers are building new exploration and development tools to make geothermal a scaled contributor to a fully carbon-free electrical grid.
Field data is Zanskar’s life blood; we rely on accurate and precise field measurements to make exploration and development decisions. Our 2 or 3-person field teams, comprised of geologic and equipment technicians, work with our field geologists and staff geoscientists on geothermal exploration projects using a variety of geology, geochemistry, and shallow-drilling methods.
The Geologic Technician position’s primary responsibility is to ensure scientific field methods and sampling are being performed to the highest standards. Additionally, they will be required to assist other team members with daily field operations to include operating and maintaining vehicles, UTVs, and light mechanical equipment/tools.
- At least 18 years old.
- Be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Valid driver’s license without any major infractions in the last three years.
- High School diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- Commitment to working safely and ensuring the safety of co-workers.
- Possess a high degree of accuracy, integrity, and attention to detail.
- Must be self-motivated and work with minimum direct supervision in small, remote teams.
- Able to commute long distances (300+ miles) and work for extended periods, 14-day rotations.
- Comfortable working outdoors continuously in the elements to a high operational tempo.
- Ability to perform physical labor and other strenuous physical tasks; to include, but not limited to, periodic bending and kneeling and lifting, pushing, and pulling 50 lbs.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English at a level which will permit the employee to accurately understand and communicate information to perform the job duties safely and efficiently.
- Possess good mechanical and technical aptitude, with competency operating and maintaining vehicles and equipment.
- Comfortable using a GPS and navigating in remote settings.
- Excellent communication, problem-solving skills, professionalism.
- Proficient computer skills (Google platform).
- Practical experience in scientific field methods and sampling in remote/wilderness environments.
- Higher education and/or experience in geology, environmental science, forestry, field biology, or related fields.
- Can safely operate and maintain company equipment, such as diesel trucks, trailers, and UTVs.
- Experience safely operating various light mechanical equipment and hand tools.
- OSHA/1st Aid/Wilderness safety training.
- GAIA or GIS experience.
- Strong desire to work outdoors.
- Proficient experience safely operating and maintaining diesel trucks, trailers, and UTVs.
- Comfortable loading/unloading, hauling, and backing up trailers, both on and off-road.
- Capable of diagnosing mechanical, hydraulic, and/or electrical issues in the field and making appropriate repairs as required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Zanskar is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local employment practice laws. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or any legally protected status. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace, where everyone is treated with respect and provided equal opportunities for employment and advancement. We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion in all aspects of our hiring and employment practices. We encourage qualified individuals from all backgrounds to apply for our job openings and join our team.
Field Technicians may be operating heavy machinery, and as such are subject to pre-employment drug testing. All job offers are contingent upon passing a pre-employment hair follicle drug screening & background check.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.